cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Problem Asus rog g551jw

Fagenorn
Level 7
So usually when I go to bed I leave my laptop on for the night (I'll restart it like once every week) Anyway, when I woke up my laptop screen was in the BIOS menu.
I feared the worst, but when I restarted my PC, it booted normally, so I thought nothing of it. But the next day same story, when I woke up my PC was again in the BIOS menu, only this time it wasn't booting into windows. After lot's of debugging I finally concluded that it was an issue with the SSD, because it was not showing up in the boot menu, however, it was showing up in the sata configuration which I found strange and still have no
Explanation for.

I was able to boot from a live Ubuntu disk, but I sadly can't see my SSD in the listed drives. So I know it's almost impossible to retrieve data from a failed SSD, but I was just hoping that there was a way since my SSD is only 9 months old, and it is showing up in the Sata configuration. Foolishly, I didn't backup some important files that I had stored on my main disk, which I urgently need.

regards
fagenorn
2 REPLIES 2

JustinThyme
Level 13
Can you be a little more specific as to which SSD, OS, set up etc. Did you have it set for over provisioning and run the trim command at least weekly?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Can you be a little more specific as to which SSD, OS, set up etc. Did you have it set for over provisioning and run the trim command at least weekly?

The ssd is a kingsoft ssd smsm15s3128gd. I was running it on on windows 10 fine without any issues. I also recently tried placing the ssd in an old laptop I had lying around, and the laptop was also able to see the ssd in Bios (and also legacy boot menu) So i tried booting from it, but it gave an error saying: 'can't boot from disk, press a key to restart'