cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha - Random Restarts

BillyR23
Level 7
I recently built a new Skylake system with the following specs however I have issues of random reboots during games and just web browsing in Windows.

Here are the Specs - I am using my old 960 as I am waiting for the 1080 or 1070

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (have also tried Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8gb) DRR4-3000)
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Corsair 760T White V2 ATX Full Tower Case
Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I have reformatted my M.2 3 times. Flashed Bios to 1701. Tried all new parts - new memory, motherboard, processor, power supply all giving the same issue

The first processor I had the stock voltage was running at 1.328 Volts - The Second Processor runs at 1.24
Regardless if the XMP profile is on or not the machine will still reboot - I have even put the memory voltage up to 1.38v

Any help would be greatly appreciated
10 REPLIES 10

NemesisChild
Level 12
Welcome to the forum!

Typically sudden restarts during gaming would indicate a defective or failing PSU.
That Corsair 860W is a solid PSU unit, but even the best electronics can fail at times.

Have you tried increasing the VCCIO and SA voltages?

Also, I would try removing your 960 and just run on the iGPU to see if the problem goes away.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

Typically sudden restarts during gaming would indicate a defective or failing PSU.
That Corsair 860W is a solid PSU unit, but even the best electronics can fail at times.

Have you tried increasing the VCCIO and SA voltages?

Also, I would try removing your 960 and just run on the iGPU to see if the problem goes away.

Thanks!

I originally had a Corsair RM850 power supply but the power supply fan would not spin even at 100% load so i returned that and got the AX 860i.
I also tested the new PSU using the self test button and everything lit up green. This was actually the first part I replaced.

I have tried increasing those voltages as well.

Also I had it running with just 1 8GB Dimm slot for 48 hours as well. Which leads me to believe the memory is what is causing it.

Next thing would be to remove the 960 and see if the onboard graphics gives the same issues. I will try when i get home from work.

Thank you for the quick response.

NemesisChild
Level 12
If you're certain that the PSU isn't the culprit, I would also be leaning towards the memory.

I have seen too many issues with Corsair memory on this platform.
Definitely do manual settings with 3200 memory, avoid the XMP profile for now.

Any way you can change out the 2x8GB Corsair memory for the TridentZ 3200 C15 set?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
If you're certain that the PSU isn't the culprit, I would also be leaning towards the memory.

I have seen too many issues with Corsair memory on this platform.
Definitely do manual settings with 3200 memory, avoid the XMP profile for now.

Any way you can change out the 2x8GB Corsair memory for the TridentZ 3200 C15 set?

I can definitely look into returning the Corsair memory for the G.Skill TridentZ. Thanks for advice on that. At this point I just want the system to work as my return window for parts is over next week. Thanks for the info!

Chino
Level 15

Is it like this when it reboots?

https://youtu.be/hr2TE-C7KfY

Naybour wrote:
Is it like this when it reboots?

https://youtu.be/hr2TE-C7KfY

It was exactly like that.

Chino wrote:
Clear your CMOS to bring your system back to stock default for testing. Report back your results.

I did that multiple times and had the same issue.

thomas_yiu
Level 9
I saw the A2/A0 code than reboot, which is related to drive. Did you ever replace 950 Pro? remove M.2 and see if reboot is gone?
Sincerely,
TY