cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VL-DH71 Sonic Studio II conflicts with Unity v5.3.5 and Premiere CS5.5

drswoboda
Level 7
Ever since buying a new G752VL in early March of 2016, I have been unable to use Unity v5.3.5 ( or any earlier version either ) for my game development.

In Unity there were random graphic glitches all over the UI and most annoyingly, the RUN option to test games was totally bugged.

It would pause the game playback every few seconds, making it impossible to to run or test the game while developing. This was a total deal breaker.

I also had another issue with Premiere CS5.5. Premiere would crash when I tried to use the full screen video output to a second monitor.

It would go to a black screen and Premiere would hang, requiring a forced shutdown. This made editing very frustrating. I was pulling out my hair.

I was just about ready to return the laptop when I did one last seacrh for others with this same issue. What I found was two threads on the Unity forums.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/editor-interface-graphical-glitches.359021/

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/editor-issues-with-5-2-0-on-windows-10-rendering-glitches.354920/

These thread were talking about issues with audio drivers, which I found rather interesting, as none of my issue were audio related, or so it seemed.

So, I uninstalled Sonic Studio II, rebooted and loaded up a Unity project. Then, for the first time in three months, Unity ran smooth as butter with no graphics issues and no stuttering. Wow, what a great feeling!

On a lark, I then loaded up a Premiere project, and lo and behold, chose the option to display full screen video to 2nd monitor and yes, you guessed it, it worked!

Wow, this was a total surprise. I'm back to work and being productive on my moderately expensive laptop! Never in a million years would I have guessed it was a pre-installed audio driver that was hosing my system.

So, now the audio sounds pretty crummy and I'm pretty sure the sub-woofer is doing NOTHING but taking up space, but I'm working again.

There sure seems to be quite a few issues with this ROG laptop series, including the totally borked USB ports on the left side. I'll probably keep it now, but it is disconcerting to pay this much money and have these issues. To make it evern more mysterious, ASUS advertises UNITY dev on the main sales page for the G752VL web page. Have they ever tested if it worked? Mine didn't RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!

toronto699
Level 13
as for sound this thread may be of help why not PM Bahz the Asus forum moderator about the software conflict
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84506-G752VY-worst-audio-ever-from-speakers

https://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?240188-Bahz

JustinThyme
Level 13
This is interesting how sound drivers have anything to do with graphics.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
This is interesting how sound drivers have anything to do with graphics.

My thoughts entirely! But I have been working with no issues with eiter Premiere or Unity since I uninstalled Sonic Studio II.

-David

I had the same issue with Sonic Suite making Premiere unusable. Thank god for this thread, I spent 4 days trying to figure it out and nearly missed a deadline.

I am so glad I found this thread as well... I was having the EXACT SAME issues with Premiere Pro CC 2017 and Davinci Resolve.

I was sorta skeptical that removing an audio driver would fix my problem... But, was out of options.

I uninstalled Sonic Studio II, then rebooted and everything works like it should. Unbelievable.

Thanks for sharing this fix!

vitalsine & jamievbred,

I'm glad to hear that your issues were fixed after reading about my troubles!

-David

BJBBJB
Level 7
I know this is an old thread but I had to chime in. I am on a Maximus Hero VIII and sonic suite 2 has been installed since I first built the machine when Skylake came out.
Premiere Pro 2015 (which went into 2016, I don't think CC had a 2016 version) worked fine. Between updating my NVIDIA driver and Premiere pro to 2017 I got the black monitor in pr pro.

Not having found this thread which was referred to in the Adobe forum until now, I uninstalled video drivers, installed old video drivers, uninstalled and re-installed pre pro without joy.

I saw the thread and just right clicked on sonic suite 2 in my notification area, exited it, and started pre pro, and all was good. I had video! So I can say with some certainty the issue for me started with pr pro 2017 as I have not updated much of my asus posted drivers. Or else Nvidia driver 378.92 started the issue, upgrading to Pr Pro 2017, but going back to Nivida 376.33 also did not fix the issue. So I don't know...... that new Nvidia driver did have issues. But I am just posting the story so others can hopefully benefit.

Does anyone know if an update of Sonic Suite 2 fixes this issue? I don't want to mess around until that is confirmed as things work now but thought I would check here as it has been quite a while since the issue was brought up on this thread.

Just thought I would share some more specifics.

As an aside, since I have not updated firmware or the Asus-provided drivers/programs in a long time, what is the recommendation as to what to update and what not to?

I don't overclock, but do heavy video and picture editing and some gaming.
Thanks again!
BJBBJB

JustinThyme
Level 13
I'm thinking I wouldn't call this a sonic studio issue as much as I would call it an Adobe issue. Not the first time nor will it be the last their software didnt play nice with other basic items.
Thing is with premiere pro its doing audio too and most who use this professionally are doing so in a work station environment and not using audio enhancement of any kind as you want your studio monitors or cans to playback exactly as its been laid down. I do some video but not as a source of primary income. My sound is an external DAC via toslink and Sonic studio is not only not installed it wouldn't come into play with raw digital out anyhow.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

BJBBJB
Level 7
I definitely fall into the semi pro not pro category. I hear you on the Adobe software. I really don't want any enhancements either but if I recall correctly I thought I needed sonic studio to set levels for my 5.1 system as I used to make 5.1 Blu-Rays. Of course Adobe essentially canned Encore, now it's 4k video stereo audio files...

Am I not correct that Sonic Studio sets levels?? Does it run in the background and do anything? All I did is right click and exit and Prem Pro was happy. If I don't need it I'll just take it out of auto start.

I also run the "Asio" add in as the Asus Realtek audio did not have an Asio driver like my old Creative Labs card in mynold rig and I couldn't get 5.1 in premiere without it.
Thanks,
BJB