cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positive RVE Stories

red454
Level 11
It is typical to see the problems with any product on the forums - people are unhappy and looking for help, so the negative stories are easy to find. So how many RVE owners have positive stories of RVE ownership?

I'll go first - the RVE is my 4th ROG board (Maximus IV Gene-Z, Maximus V Formula, Crosshair V Formula). The first 3 were pretty much problem free. And while my RVE does seem to be somewhat more temperamental (I did have some random reboots a few days ago - which have since stopped) it usually boots up on the first try and works well stock or with a mild overclock. I will say that I haven't really tried to push it to the limits either. Once in a while it will hang on code 61 and a hard reset (power down) takes care of it, and sometimes it doesn't like sleep mode (which is usually some background app that won't allow sleep) but I will say that I am happy with it.
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro
11 REPLIES 11

jrmcdou
Level 10
Most people come to the forums to find answers to issues they have. Otherwise if there are no issues they have no reason to read the forums unless they want to help others which would be a very good thing. I have had no serious issues with mine. It does not like XMP so I can't use that and be stable. And some issues after certain bios updates and the annoying breaking of my raid when updating. But that is stuff I can deal with. I'm hopeful that the new Edition 10 with the new bios will be a big improvement and have a lot of the bugs solved but we will see. I know that my RIVBE is a rock solid board and was a great improvement for me.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey,

I for one had many problems when the board came out. Stability problems, compatibility problems, Boot sequence problems (lot of those). But now, this board is rock solid. I can throw a lot of stuff at it and it'll take it. I'm still recommending this board over any other when people ask me about which one they should buy.

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Onimax
Level 8
Honestly, when I ordered the board I already had the intention to tinker with it, so my expectation was an enthusiast board - and that expectation was totally fulfilled.
Granted early efis had some stability issues when it comes to plug&play, but plug&play was never what I took the board for - imao there are better boards to work with like the WS ones.

Of course I also had my problems and wanted them resolved, but most of the time all I had to do was playing with all the settings and what not - I never was angry.

I guess it's the less experienced users that go "oh woah an expensive mobo with rog branding - must be goooooood" *sometimelater* "THIS BOARD IS **** IT AIN'T RECOGNIZE ANYTHING ON AUTO AND WON'T DO 5GHZ OUT OF THE BOX!!!!!"
What I wanted to say is: It all comes down to what you expect and what you actually do.

I also talked a friend out of getting this board (and instead go for skylake) because he saw my build and what is possible with this motherboard.
As I knew he is not an _entusiast_ and doesn't even know/is interested in/wants to overclock and simply would've been overwhelmed by this board (an hypothesis which proofed to be right later on ;)); and still it does not change that fact that I think that this is a fantastic mobo.

TL;DR: Best board I ever got.

Onimax wrote:
Honestly, when I ordered the board I already had the intention to tinker with it, so my expectation was an enthusiast board - and that expectation was totally fulfilled.
Granted early efis had some stability issues when it comes to plug&play, but plug&play was never what I took the board for - imao there are better boards to work with like the WS ones.

Of course I also had my problems and wanted them resolved, but most of the time all I had to do was playing with all the settings and what not - I never was angry.

I guess it's the less experienced users that go "oh woah an expensive mobo with rog branding - must be goooooood" *sometimelater* "THIS BOARD IS **** IT AIN'T RECOGNIZE ANYTHING ON AUTO AND WON'T DO 5GHZ OUT OF THE BOX!!!!!"
What I wanted to say is: It all comes down to what you expect and what you actually do.

I also talked a friend out of getting this board (and instead go for skylake) because he saw my build and what is possible with this motherboard.
As I knew he is not an _entusiast_ and doesn't even know/is interested in/wants to overclock and simply would've been overwhelmed by this board (an hypothesis which proofed to be right later on ;)); and still it does not change that fact that I think that this is a fantastic mobo.

TL;DR: Best board I ever got.

Yeah, for someone who either knows what they are doing or knows the don't know but is willing to learn, its a great board.

For someone else, it is "more rope".

Chino
Level 15

mdzcpa
Level 12
I also picked up the RVE went it first came out. I've been happy with it since day 1. Then again, it's likely I had the right expectations. I've been overclocking for many years and I know to expect some tinkering and tuning when going with this type of board. Same can be said with my RIVE which now resides in my son's rig. To be honest overclocking is now almost too easy and folks don't want to work for it like it used to be in the old days. Everyone wants plug n play.

A testament to the positive experience I've had with both the RVE and RIVE is that both systems will have last me 2 years. That's huge for me. Before that I would change out mobos every few months since 2001. I ws always an Abit fan back in the day and those boards could be tempermental as well...but boy could they clock!! So I guess I just got used to working for those clocks I wanted. On the flip side, for my wife, we simply slapped a Hero VII in her rig, fired up a modest overclock, and its been humming since. I haven't been in that BIOS in over 2 years.

As some said above, positive experiences with the RVE are influenced by proper expectations.

sergio77
Level 7
I had all motherboards from Rampage series. Unfortunately at the start I was very disappointed in the Rampage V Extreme. Especially what drove me crazy were occasional problems 'no post', hangs on XX Qcode, and then I was forced to power down PC, restart again, and again... And still CPU Q-Fan controled pump speed remains at the maximum speed after waking up from sleep state, ignoring UEFI settings. 🙂

I must say that version 3101 is rock stable for me, and I'm very happy with it. I'm having very stable OC, cores and cache to 4.5GHz, DDR4 to 3000MHz with 1T showing in AIDA64 memory write/copy benchmark over 70000MB/s. My NVMe Samsung 950 Pro showing in ATTO disk benchmark over 2500MBs (read), 1500MB/s (write). I had experience with some other X99 boards, and it is much more difficult to achieve stable speeds and OC.
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 280L / Noctua NF-A14
Asus RAMPAGE V Extreme / Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 3000MHz
Asus Strix GeForce GTX 980 / Asus VX279Q
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB / Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 512GB
Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / CM Storm Trooper

I’ve had my RVE for over a year and it’s great. Rock solid system. I’m glad I did not go with any other vendor; I am still very satisfied with my choice and purchase and would do so again if time found a way to rewind itself.

My only complaint is these 3000 series bios’es are absolute junk for me, but it’s real easy and I just go back to bios 2101 and everything is fixed. Asus products and their support are great!

Qwinn
Level 11
I'm exceedingly happy with my RVE which I bought June 2015. Everything has worked as it should, and it made learning how to overclock a pleasure. The only thing I wish for would be more detailed BIOS update release notes. Well, ANY detail would do, heh.