cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new GPU installed now error code

TheAlkie
Level 7
Got back from work today and turned my computer off to install a new geforce 1080. After taking out my two old MSI cards i installed the new 1080 and switched on. Bare in mind that it's been running fine for months . Now when the comp turned back on , I get a black screen and error code 55. Very odd as it was fine earlier. Tried everything, checked ram, CPU pins , even out old GPUs in and still got same code. Cleared CMOS, nothing , can't even get into BIOS. Already changed this board once because it was broken Rampage V extreme. Now the return date for this board to Amazon has run out so if it is damaged for some reason iIdon't have a clue where to send it or what to do .Hope someone can help with this.
33 REPLIES 33

drop4205
Level 12
List specs of system. Try reseating ram and gpu. All connections connected? Have you tried with just 1 stick of ram and see if it posts?
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

FireRx
Level 11
I reset my Bios and made sure to use a HDMI cable instead of a Display port cable. installed the drivers , rebooted the put my DP cabling back on. if you on Windows 10 , make you you have the latest updates installed 1151 from February. Had the same exact issue here 🙂
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

Tried everything today, tried bios 2 , everything that everyone's suggested. Just getting same error code 55. Bare in mind this system has been running ok for months prior to installing this 1080, now this. System is Rampage V Extreme, I7 5960X, Corsair H110i, Corsair AX1200, and DDR4 24000 8GBx4. Thought it would be straight forward changing the graphics car, apparently not.

TheAlkie
Level 7
Another thing it won't let me get into bios , so iIdo think the board is broken :(. Not heard anyone with this problem before

Qwinn
Level 11
You get the same issue even putting the old GPU's back in? That is indeed worrisome.

All I can think of to suggest is to reflash the BIOS with the computer turned off and a USB drive with the BIOS file named R5E.CAP plugged into the dedicated port in the back. The procedure is listed on page 2-14 of the manual.

EDIT: Also found this link describing your issue, the last post has a procedure you could try:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1770256/system-boots-display-asus-code-memory-installed.html

EDIT: There's also this. For a different board, but I think the issue can happen on any board:

https://major.io/2014/08/22/asus-maximus-vi-gene-error-55/

cekim
Level 11
You reset the BIOS, but have you reflashed the BIOS? I've seen at least 2 random discussions about this and experienced something similar myself, but wasn't 100% sure if what I accomplished was to really, really clear CMOS or whether the bios had indeed been corrupted.

Easy attempt:
1. turn it on, let it hang
2. hit the "memOK" button. Do as the screen says if it comes back

If that doesn't work:
this is overkill, but.... when OC'ing sometimes nothing else works from a Q-code hang:
1. unplug the PSU
2. hold the power button down for a slow count to 20 (to drain everything)
3. pull the CMOS battery count to 20 again
4. reinstall the CMOS battery
5. plug the PSU back in and turn it on, but leave the machine off
6. put the .CAP file for the RVE on a usb drive with the file name R5E.CAP in the root directory of a fat32 formated USB
7. plug the USB in the lower-left USB slot as you look at the back panel under the PS/2 connector (not sure how much that matters, but....)
8. hold the rog-connect button just above that (the little chain symbol) until it starts blinking
9. wait a while until its done blinking
10. reboot and do as the screen says.

Just waiting for a mate to set up the flash drive for me as I've no means of doing this here. Plus I get nothing on the screen do get the monitor blue light though nothing else. When iIget the flash drive I'll try the above, if that doesn't work it looks like I'll have to send for repair which will probably take months. Don't even no where to send it either, in the UK.

toronto699
Level 13