cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a G752VT from a reseller

aubenoire
Level 7
Hi all!

I'm really excited about getting my very first gaming laptop! I've decided on the G752VT model already but I have a few questions. I know I can buy from ASUS directly but there is a reseller that is offering additional freebies at the same price. The reseller's company name is EXcaliberPC and the link to the bundle can be found here - http://www.excaliberpc.com/636906/asus-g752vt-dh72-17.3-g-sync-full.html

Now what I'm worried is that there's a catch to this...that's a lot of freebies, will they be selling me like a refurbished laptop? What happens if it breaks down during the warranty period? What do you guys think? Is it safe?

Also, this company is able to make modifications to the laptop. The website actually allows me to buy the lower end version of the G752VT, the G752VT-DH1 with the 965M GPU, and then they will swap out the 965M for a 970M (So technically it is the middle range G752VT-DH2 without the SSD).

I'm really interested in doing that too as I heard the stock SSDs aren't very good...and I can save some money by just buying my own Samsung 850 and plugging them in. But the same questions cross my mind, is it safe? Does this violate any warranties? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks so much for reading my very long post, I'm just so excited about getting my new laptop and I want to make sure all my grounds are covered!
15 REPLIES 15

toronto699
Level 13
support will still be covered by Asus Warranty: 1 Year (Global)
EXcaliberPC is a reputable company , they have live Chat on their website if u have ?s ask them in the live chat box

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
aubenoire wrote:
Hi all!
I'm really excited about getting my very first gaming laptop! I've decided on the G752VT model already but I have a few questions. I know I can buy from ASUS directly but there is a reseller that is offering additional freebies at the same price. The reseller's company name is EXcaliberPC and the link to the bundle can be found here - http://www.excaliberpc.com/636906/asus-g752vt-dh72-17.3-g-sync-full.html

Also, this company is able to make modifications to the laptop. The website actually allows me to buy the lower end version of the G752VT, the G752VT-DH1 with the 965M GPU, and then they will swap out the 965M for a 970M (So technically it is the middle range G752VT-DH2 without the SSD).

Welcome to the forums!

fyi.

All G752VT models come with the 970m and all G752VL models comes with the 965m, so expect EXcaliber is really selling different ASUS models and not making modifications to the GPU.

Wasn't able to find a G752VT-DH1 or G752VT-DH71 model on the EXcaliber website, but saw a G752VL-DH71 model with 965m, so guessing this is the model you saw.

toronto699 wrote:
support will still be covered by Asus Warranty: 1 Year (Global)
EXcaliberPC is a reputable company , they have live Chat on their website if u have ?s ask them in the live chat box

Yes, it's probably a good idea to discuss with the store too and confirm their units include global warranty, but as far as warranty service goes, it's really better to purchase a unit sold and supported in your local region if that's a concern especially if the same model is not sold in your region.

If the same model is not sold in your region, there normally will be a delay to order parts and you may want to confirm with your local support/repair that they can repair your model under global warranty as well.

Hi once again!

Thanks so much for all the advice and opinions you have posted, it's a huge weight off my mind to know that this reseller is safe. A little background if I may - I'm from Singapore and going to the US to do my graduate studies for the next 5-6 years. I'll be in the states for around 9 months and then back to Singapore for 3 months. I'm planning to buy this laptop when I get there in August, they have it here in Singapore too but it cost like $350USD more? So all this is pretty new to me and I want to get as much info from you guys as possible!

All G752VT models come with the 970m and all G752VL models comes with the 965m, so expect EXcaliber is really selling different ASUS models and not making modifications to the GPU.

Wasn't able to find a G752VT-DH1 or G752VT-DH71 model on the EXcaliber website, but saw a G752VL-DH71 model with 965m, so guessing this is the model you saw.

Oh yes I got a little confused about this. So the G752VT with the SSD is G752VT-DH72 while the one without the SSD is the G752VT-RH71 on their site. Does this mean that if I decide to not get the SSDs EXcaliberPC simply opens up a G752VT laptop and take out the SSDs?

aubenoire wrote:
Hi once again!

Thanks so much for all the advice and opinions you have posted, it's a huge weight off my mind to know that this reseller is safe. A little background if I may - I'm from Singapore and going to the US to do my graduate studies for the next 5-6 years. I'll be in the states for around 9 months and then back to Singapore for 3 months. I'm planning to buy this laptop when I get there in August, they have it here in Singapore too but it cost like $350USD more? So all this is pretty new to me and I want to get as much info from you guys as possible!

Oh yes I got a little confused about this. So the G752VT with the SSD is G752VT-DH72 while the one without the SSD is the G752VT-RH71 on their site. Does this mean that if I decide to not get the SSDs EXcaliberPC simply opens up a G752VT laptop and take out the SSDs?

Don't worry. US is the best place right now hands down if you want to buy an ASUS gaming notebook. You have lots of stores to choose from with very good prices. So you might wanna hold off until August to purchase.

As for the SSD, it is unlikely that Excalibur opens up to remove the SSD since it comes with a version specified by ASUS. My bet would be that particular model doesn't come with a SSD right from the factory. Either way, if its not present, or gets removed, you won't be having one in the end. SSDs have never been cheaper and I highly suggest to get one separately and fix it yourself rather than buying it with the notebook. They tend to be priced insanely expensive and it is much cheaper if you buy on your own.

As for the SSD, it is unlikely that Excalibur opens up to remove the SSD since it comes with a version specified by ASUS. My bet would be that particular model doesn't come with a SSD right from the factory. Either way, if its not present, or gets removed, you won't be having one in the end. SSDs have never been cheaper and I highly suggest to get one separately and fix it yourself rather than buying it with the notebook. They tend to be priced insanely expensive and it is much cheaper if you buy on your own.

Thanks a lot! Yup I'm intending to do just that haha. I have one the math and it's definitely cheaper to buy and fit in my own SSD, it's not that hard either! Furthermore, I remember watching Youtube a review of the default SSD's read/write speeds and they were saying it was a bit disappointing. I could just fork out an extra $50 bucks to get a Samsung 950 at 256GB, so that's my plan moving forward.

kidfromhell
Level 9
Don't worry. Stores like ExcaliburPC, XOTIC PC and Pro Star are trustworthy and they have been selling gaming notebooks for a long time. In fact, you get better after sales support from them than ASUS itself.

If the prices and config you're looking for if found at one of their stores, simply go for it. Also, check with them if you're a student as they might you a little student discount as well.

When configuring/customizing, go through every single option as there'll be a lot with the [add +0] next to the components that you can add for free. Try to add them all. Sometimes, there'll tabs on the top as well. Make sure to visit every tab and check all options for freebies.

Have fun!

JustinThyme
Level 13
Actually Excaliber PC will remove SSDs, optical drives etc if you spec a machine that way. Open up their models and you will see credits for removal of anything that can be removed when they replace it with something else or you just want a certain package with items removed. I however would advise against this as the credit they give you for removing parts is pitiful! Like less than half of the actual value they would charge you to add it.

Dont pay much attention to you tube vids, you must remember that a great deal of them are 100% BS!

The stock Samsung SM951 256 GB NVMe benchmarks every bit as good as a 256 GB 950 pro does. They are the same SSD built on the same technology, one is OEM and the other is consumer. The 128 GB model is however much slower and performance gets better the bigger you go. I would not waste my money or time on buying a 256GB 950 pro. Go at least 512GB or wait a little while and go for the 1TB. You can also do like I did, two 512 GB 950 Pros in a RAID 0 array.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks for the advice once again! However I might be sticking to the 258GB 950 pro as the the price step up to the 512GB is really too steep for me. I don't really see myself as a super hardcore gamer who need the top tier gear and 258GB, although not cost effective, is the amount I am happy to part with at the moment. In the future when the prices drop further I might then add another SSD (since there's two slots anyway)

I have one more questions though - should I install my own SSD, how would I transfer the OS from the HDD to the SSD? I would have to mirror it over using software right? Does the Samsung 950 pro comes with the software to do this? How long does it take? Is it risky?

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you are sticking with the 256GB stick there is no need to go with the 950 pro. Stick with the stock SM951 256 GB and you wont have to worry about cloning the drive.

I cloned from the stock 256 SM 951 to a 512 GB 950 pro then later cloned it back to a SATA III SSD then to two 512 GB 950 pros in a raid 0 array.

Read up, there are plenty of threads with plenty of info here on the cloning process and what software works best.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein