cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIII Ranger standby issue and automatic restart

DavidB
Level 7
Hello,

From the moment I bought the computer I had these small problems and mostly a newer bios would be the solution (like XMP profile overclock error, systeem instability)
But now I have 2 problems that won't go away and it's getting really annoying.

My system specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i5 6600K Boxed
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 quad kit
Power Supply: Cooler Master V-Series Semi-Modular 550W
HDD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB (M.2), Western Digital 2TB Green, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, Adata Premier Pro SP900 128GB
BIOS version: 1601 (next-to-last version)
Windows 10 Education

The computer doesn't wanna stay in hibernation modes. I can leave the computer and watch tv, from the point where I'm watching tv the computer goes in hibernation.
But after a certain time (this is random) the computer wakes up. And this will repeat itself into infinity.
The strange thing is... nobody is near the computer or touching any components at that moment.

Another issue I have, after shutting off the computer it will restart itself (and no I didn't pushed restart on accident). After I turn off the computer I could walk to the couch and sit there, and then the computer would reboot itself.
This problem is from a while back and the past few month it didn't occur anymore (maybe the latest bios version has something do to with it?).
But I rather tell this problem to because I have the idea those 2 issues have something in common.
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hello DavidB

Welcome to the ROG forum !

If you're getting an overclocking failed message after enabling XMP you'll need to raise the vccio and cpu system agent voltages a little .

On the extreme tweaker tab try both at 1.20v - 1.25v and see if this stops the overclocking failed message, try them at 1.20v first.

You can set your ram manually instead of using XMP, sometimes this gives better results.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello DavidB

Welcome to the ROG forum !

If you're getting an overclocking failed message after enabling XMP you'll need to raise the vccio and cpu system agent voltages a little .

On the extreme tweaker tab try both at 1.20v - 1.25v and see if this stops the overclocking failed message, try them at 1.20v first.

You can set your ram manually instead of using XMP, sometimes this gives better results.

Thank you.

My problem is NOT about XMP or overklocking. It was just an example that the latest biosversion is a solution for a problem. I shouldn't have
mentioned it in the first place, my mistake.

My computer won't stay in hibernation, so if I don't touch my computer for 30 min it's goes to hibernation. When it's in hibernation mode it will start itself after an certain time.
I have this problem for a very long time (when I bought it in augustus 2015) and it's getting really annoying. But I also like to know what is going on because I
still have warranty on the parts.

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Clear your CMOS and test your system at stock defaults. Then report back your results.

I cleared my CMOS with the button on my motherbord, after that I went into bios and only changed the fan tuning (otherwise my water pump makes so much noise).

Just tested it but it did not work. Still won't stay in hibernation mode.

Nate152 wrote:
All right

Thank you for sharing your fix with XMP, new bios's can help with system stability and good to see it worked for you.

As for hibernation I don't use that feature but something is turning it on, I wonder if you disabled the "wake on lan" if that would fix it.

No problem.

I did not disabled the ''wake on lan''.

Nate152
All right

Thank you for sharing your fix with XMP, new bios's can help with system stability and good to see it worked for you.

As for hibernation I don't use that feature but something is turning it on, I wonder if you disabled the "wake on lan" if that would fix it.

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Try disabling "wake on lan" and see if that stops it from turning on.

My mistake... it is ''legacy only''. But I have no idea what it means and I have also not changed this.

I brought the PC back to the shop where I bought the parts. They are going to figure out the problem and repair it (under warranty).
So I'm going to mis my PC for a few weeks, but when it's fixed I will post the solution.