cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ON Screen Display

Nate152
Hi everyone 🙂

Here's a little guide to see gpu information, cpu temps, system ram usage and frames per second on screen while playing games. I'lll be using MSI Afterburner but works with EVGA Precision X too. You can install HWinfo and use the OSD settings in there but is not necessary. Most of you will have a 64 bit operating system installed, under the native 64 bit version click download installer, local (u.s.) then click run.

1) HWinfo - http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

2) MSI Afterburner version 4.2.0 is what I'm using, 4.50 is the latest - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

Once you get those installed click on the Afterburner desktop icon to open the program. You can use the default skin but I'll show you real quick how to change it to a better one.

Click settings to bring up the properties, at the top right click the arrow pointing to the right until you see the user interface tab. Down under user interface skinning properties tick the little arrow and select "Gaming Afterburner skin by Derex Design" then click ok.

You now have this, the settings button is the gear which is circled in yellow. Click the gear and on the General tab check the two boxes "unlock voltage control" and "unlock voltage monitoring" then click ok.

Gear - Settings
Checkmark - Apply
Circular arrow - Reset to defaults

Now we're ready to show things on screen while playing games and there is a lot to choose from. You can use any and all you like, I'll just show you the ones I use so let's start with the GPU Temp.

Click the monitoring tab, click on GPU temperature and highlight it blue then down near the bottom left check the box beside "Show in On-Screen Display", beside GPU temperature will now show "in OSD". Highlight each one you want and check the box beside show in on screen display, make sure each one you highlight shows "in OSD" beside it. You'll have to put a checkmark to the left of Framerate and GPU voltage before highlighting them.

Once you have what you want displayed let Afterburner open and fire up a game, what you selected should be showing in the upper left corner in purple, I changed the text to white and here's what I use from top left to right.

First line GPU - GPU Temp, GPU Usage, GPU fan speed, GPU core clock, GPU voltage
Second line MEM - GPU memory clock, GPU memory usage
Third line D3D11 - Framerate
CPU 1 to CPU 4 - CPU Temps
CPU usage - shown as 20%
System Ram usage

To change the color and size of the text, on the bottom right of your screen bring up Riva Tuner Statistics Server, change the color with the On_Screen Display palette and make the text bigger or smaller with the On-Screen Display zoom slider then click ok.

You can show alot more stuff with HWinfo, open HWinfo and click the sensors tab.

It brings up the sensor status page, at the bottom right click the gear to bring up the sensor settings.

On the sensor settings page click the OSD(RTSS) tab, I selected Virtual Memory Committed as an example, highlight it blue then put a checkmark by "Show value in OSD", it will then show yes under Riva Tuner to show in the on screen display, do this with any settings you want then click ok.

If you have any questions please ask, when you get it working please post a screenshot playing your favorite games. 🙂
9 REPLIES 9

Ntwlf
Level 12
Hey Nate152,

Awesome tutorial, much appreciated!
I look forward to following your tutorial when I'm ready to set it up on my pc. I'm still experimenting with different OS setup & installations.
I'll be sure and post-back with a screenshot of FarCry4. 😉
Thank You!!

Bahz
Level 12
Very useful and informative guide, thanks a lot of sharing this Nate! 🙂

Nate152
Hey guys and thank you,

I'm just waiting for someone to try it out and post a screenshot.

Nate152 wrote:
Hey guys and thank you,

I'm just waiting for someone to try it out and post a screenshot.

Hai Nate:

Nate152
Hi AKBAAR

Awesome, that looks like a hitman game.

Did you use the guide or did you already know how to do it. 🙂

Don't forget you can change the text to any size and color you want.

P.S. I edited the guide

Nate152 wrote:
Hi AKBAAR

Awesome, that looks like a hitman game.

Did you use the guide or did you already know how to do it. 🙂

Don't forget you can change the text to any size and color you want.

hehe, I already know how to do it honestly, but the thing i didnt know that you can change color loololol

ya Hitman is awesome game, although still waiting for MSI OSD to be compatible with DirectX12 ... so i will be running dx11 for the mean time

Nate152
Scroll up in the guide, I tell you how to change the color and size of the text, you do it in Riva Tuner Statistics Server.

Nate152 wrote:
Scroll up in the guide, I tell you how to change the color and size of the text, you do it in Riva Tuner Statistics Server.

ya ofcourse.... i read all the guide. luv it !

bitman
Level 10
Nate152 wrote:
Hi everyone 🙂

Here's a little guide to see gpu information, cpu temps, system ram usage and frames per second on screen while playing games. I'lll be using MSI Afterburner but works with EVGA Precision X too. You can install HWinfo and use the OSD settings in there but is not necessary. Most of you will have a 64 bit operating system installed, under the native 64 bit version click download installer, local (u.s.) then click run.

1) HWinfo - http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

2) MSI Afterburner version 4.2.0, click the downloads tab - https://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

Once you get those installed click on the Afterburner desktop icon to open the program. You can use the default skin but I'll show you real quick how to change it to a better one.

Click settings to bring up the properties, at the top right click the arrow pointing to the right until you see the user interface tab. Down under user interface skinning properties tick the little arrow and select "Gaming Afterburner skin by Derex Design" then click ok.

You now have this, the settings button is the gear which is circled in yellow. Click the gear and on the General tab check the two boxes "unlock voltage control" and "unlock voltage monitoring" then click ok.

Gear - Settings
Checkmark - Apply
Circular arrow - Reset to defaults

Now we're ready to show things on screen while playing games and there is a lot to choose from. You can use any and all you like, I'll just show you the ones I use so let's start with the GPU Temp.

Click the monitoring tab, click on GPU temperature and highlight it blue then down near the bottom left check the box beside "Show in On-Screen Display", beside GPU temperature will now show "in OSD". Highlight each one you want and check the box beside show in on screen display, make sure each one you highlight shows "in OSD" beside it. You'll have to put a checkmark to the left of Framerate and GPU voltage before highlighting them.

Once you have what you want displayed let Afterburner open and fire up a game, what you selected should be showing in the upper left corner in purple, I changed the text to white and here's what I use from top left to right.

First line GPU - GPU Temp, GPU Usage, GPU fan speed, GPU core clock, GPU voltage
Second line MEM - GPU memory clock, GPU memory usage
Third line D3D11 - Framerate
CPU 1 to CPU 4 - CPU Temps
CPU usage - shown as 20%
System Ram usage

To change the color and size of the text, on the bottom right of your screen bring up Riva Tuner Statistics Server, change the color with the On_Screen Display palette and make the text bigger or smaller with the On-Screen Display zoom slider then click ok.

You can show alot more stuff with HWinfo, open HWinfo and click the sensors tab.

It brings up the sensor status page, at the bottom right click the gear to bring up the sensor settings.

On the sensor settings page click the OSD(RTSS) tab, I selected Virtual Memory Committed as an example, highlight it blue then put a checkmark by "Show value in OSD", it will then show yes under Riva Tuner to show in the on screen display, do this with any settings you want then click ok.

If you have any questions please ask, when you get it working please post a screenshot playing your favorite games. 🙂

Hi Nate152, Does the MSI Afterburner support SLI? *Thanks great Tutorial. Awesome job!*