cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G75VW-BBK5 With Upgraded GTX 780M GPU Success!

0neWinged
Level 9
So after many many hours and help from Dreamonic, this Mod is a success story. I officially have a G75VW with an upgraded GPU.
Requirements:

• Many Hours of time
  • 780M GPU from a G750JH
  • Heatsink from 780M GPU
  • Modify heatsinks and chassis for fitting
  • soldering skills
  • Modified system bios with 780M VBIOS inserted
  • Bridged 780M BIOS chip for bypass so it will allow the read of the OROM.
  • Custom NVIDIA drivers.

Ill have more pics and stats to come after I get everything cleaned up and put back together.

13 REPLIES 13

ll_r1d0_ll
Level 7
wow thats great ! congrats man ! one question ... Are you using thermal paste on the vrams instead of thermal pads ?

ll_r1d0_ll wrote:
wow thats great ! congrats man ! one question ... Are you using thermal paste on the vrams instead of thermal pads ?

Thank you very much!
I am. I'm using Gelid Extreme. And using a decent amount do to pads being thicker than paste.

0neWinged wrote:
Thank you very much!
I am. I'm using Gelid Extreme. And using a decent amount do to pads being thicker than paste.

ahaan well thats great !:p

jmhdj

So I have new problems now. Drivers show card is there, but with problems. With some more bios flashing and driver tweaking we got it working fully. Only problem was it wouldnt boost past 135Mhz. we then began with more flashing and drivers mods.
until all of a sudden the wifi was no longer working. It was connected and secured, but "no Internet". ran troubleshoot and says one or more internet protocols are missing. tried some more trouble shooting with that with no luck. So I then said screw it will just plug ethernet in and download the lower version NVIDIA drivers I wanted. Well I unlugged laptop from charger, connected laptop to ethernet. Downloaded NVIDIA driver and updated Win10 wireless driver.
Installed new wireless driver. Unplugged Ethernet and did a reboot... only to be blessed with a black screen.
I checked bridge and it was still good.
So today I put 660m in to see if it would boot which it does.
took off bridge and put 780m in, black screen.
bridged it, black screen. Also GPU fan no longer spinning.

I think I might have killed the card, more on the VRM side of things.
Heatsink plate was pretty warm, but not hot. Copper heatpipes pretty warm, but not hot.
This all happened after a reboot, not your typical GPU overheat and laptop shut off.

Any ideas?

Update: I also cant access bios with 780m in. UEFI is off. Screen turns on, just stays black. No sound of windows boot in the background.

Here is the proof of my G75VW running a GTX 780m GPU. Still have issues as stated above. This is a SS of it working though. I still have troubleshooting to do and will update in time.
for now, this is all I really have to show.

jmhdj
Level 10
Congratulations 🙂
Nice to see when mods like this come to fruition..

jmhdj wrote:
Congratulations 🙂
Nice to see when mods like this come to fruition..

Thank you. Huge step thats for sure. Now just having issues with the drivers. Tried modified drivers, but getting errors. Deamon.exe error and in device manager getting GTX 780m "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

me and Dreamonic are doing some troubleshoot, but havent had any luck as of yet. Loaded up GPU-Z and shows the gpu, but bios are "unknown"

Dreamonic
Level 12
After I removed the MXM signature in the OROM VBIOS followed with the 780M bridged BIOS chip, things started working properly but POST was then painfully slow (like a full minute). The display drivers finally installed (no code 43) and the card was finally working. Enough so at least for 0neWinged to get this screenshot. Then the joys of modding happened, more troubleshooting!

Why did you choose the GTX 780M?

I'm looking to do something similar along those lines for my G75VW as well, but I was thinking 670MX as I prefer the job to 'relatively easier' without an outrageous/ difficult card mod needed.
From what I've gathered, I also need to increase the heatsink 'height' through a double layer of the thermal paste, what types of 'paste' will be suitable?
Finally where's the best sites to buy these cards from (I live in EU), along with the heatsink from? (pref. a kit)

Thanks for your time.