cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY doesn't support UEFI?

rebelmania
Level 7
Hey guys! Ok I feel rightfully stupid, is it really so that the G751JY has no uefi? I was wondering when I wanted to check it out to notice legacy BIOS. I mean my 5-6 year old desktop motherboard has UEFI.
Kind of dissapointed. I just wanted to check with you, I got confused because http://i.imgur.com/9aEnjlX.png shows UEFI?
I talked with support and they said it didn't support UEFI, really with such an expensive and new laptop?

Anyone wanna confirm that for me?

/H
11 REPLIES 11

JustinThyme
Level 13
I dont know what support you were talking to. Two G751 series laptops in my possession both support UEFI.

If you are another of the "Clean Install" victims and botched the "Clean Install" maybe you should redo your "Clean Install" by following the guide in the stickie for doing a "Clean Install" UEFI.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-...

Just one more reason, if it isnt broke......dont fixt it!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

It was asus support in Sweden. They said it didn't, like wtf. They should've said they don't know or will check it out, I even said well it says in the computer it supports uefi and they said "it's there but not activated on this kind of computer".
I will email then once I get it working and tell them off. I tried the clean install yesterday but I must've done something wrong. I am getting a new usb-stick tomorrow in the mail so will use that.

Thank you!! I don't like legacy bios one bit.

it does what? change legacy in uefi style? think not so... muhaha

warryabel
Level 7
you become not a new uefi controlpanelbios blabla...its only cosmetic no performance,nothing...

warryabel wrote:
you become not a new uefi controlpanelbios blabla...its only cosmetic no performance,nothing...

As @JustinThyme pointed out ( thanks ), I advise you as well to read the guide I wrote, especially the following ( and I quote ) lines:
The "why should I bother" ?

you've got ROG Laptop, best in the market, fitted with UEFI, "the newest form of BIOS". ( READ MORE HERE )
No reason to work with OS that is installed on a MBR formatted drive that's running on a BIOS emulated machine (like some preinstalled windows), if you wish the fastest laptop, OS & applications !

OS on a GPT formatted disk, booted with UEFI, is BETTER THEN MBR & BIOS !
Why ?

• Way Faster OS boot (I.E POST), with NO blinking underscore !
  • Better (auto) chances to recover info from bad/damaged sector/block !
    (Partition table is redundantly stored, checked using CRC)
  • No 2TiB limit on HDD size
  • and MORE: READ MORE HERE & HERE

Although these better feature are due to GPT and not UEFI, you just can NOT install windows on GPT formatted drive when you're using "legacy BIOS" - you MUST use/boot from UEFI ( in G751 this equals to "legacy bios" being OFF ).
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Thanks! I followed your guide when I did it the other day but I think I must've ****ed something up none the less. I saw when I was formatting the drive that it was GPT from the start but I guess it hadn't been booted from uefi-mode? Waiting patiently for a new usb-stick. 🙂

Kind regards
H

The most issues I have seen over the years is, not setting the BIOS to UEFI, and not booting the USB install media UEFI, you have to hit that Esc key bring up a boot menu and selecting the UEFI USB otherwise it is going to install BIOS MBR every time.
Asus notebook BIOS/UEFI are not the elaborate multi function interface that you would see with a Asus Mother Board. for notebooks the UEFI interface looks exactly like our old BIOS interface.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Oh, that's a shame. I thought it would be like on my asus desktop mobo. I probably did that wrong, I thought I had picked uefi because I saw it in the list but I guess I didn't.

Clintlgm wrote:
The most issues I have seen over the years is, not setting the BIOS to UEFI, and not booting the USB install media UEFI, you have to hit that Esc key bring up a boot menu and selecting the UEFI USB otherwise it is going to install BIOS MBR every time.
Asus notebook BIOS/UEFI are not the elaborate multi function interface that you would see with a Asus Mother Board. for notebooks the UEFI interface looks exactly like our old BIOS interface.

like i said before...no uefi cpl bling bling...