cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just ordered 4GB more ram for the G74SX

Trijicon
Level 7
So I just ordered 4GB more ram for my G74SX A1 to bring it up to 16GB, it was originally 12GB in stock form. I went with Crucial memory as they had a scanner to look at the computer and suggest the memory that would be compatable.

Part Number: CT2215262
Module Size: 4GB
Package: 204-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR3 PC3-10600
Specs: DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=023E825DA5CA7304

Should just be plug and play right? It should just recognize the extra ram when I re-boot her up from what I have read.

From what I have read Crucial puts out good ram so I should have no issues with it not being compatible with what is currently in there... (Which I have no idea how to tell) ...

One question I do have is; What's the difference between the 1.5V and the 1.35V sticks? I went with the 1.5V as I read that is what is more standard but I was wondering if there is any 'big' difference between the two?

Thank you,
38 REPLIES 38

BrodyBoy
Level 10
When adding RAM, it's best to try and match all the specs as best you can to the existing memory. Ideally, the safest bet is to buy another module exactly like the ones already installed (same manufacturer & model), but matched specs is the next best thing,

Assuming the memory is compatible, it should be recognized immediately by the BIOS when you boot the first time.

Hi - I have 12 in mine that is coming, but what would be the benefit in having more ? I know it's cheap however I am assuming for gaming and for just about anything I assume 12 is fine since some people say anything more than 6 is a bit of overkill

Just trying to understand

BrodyBoy wrote:
When adding RAM, it's best to try and match all the specs as best you can to the existing memory. Ideally, the safest bet is to buy another module exactly like the ones already installed (same manufacturer & model), but matched specs is the next best thing,

Assuming the memory is compatible, it should be recognized immediately by the BIOS when you boot the first time.

shol wrote:
Hi - I have 12 in mine that is coming, but what would be the benefit in having more ? I know it's cheap however I am assuming for gaming and for just about anything I assume 12 is fine since some people say anything more than 6 is a bit of overkill

Just trying to understand

You're right....for the vast majority of us, it makes no difference......even 12Gb is overkill. On the other hand, as you noted, RAM is really cheap these days, so some owners like to max it out.

fostert
Level 12
Trijicon wrote:

One question I do have is; What's the difference between the 1.5V and the 1.35V sticks? I went with the 1.5V as I read that is what is more standard but I was wondering if there is any 'big' difference between the two?

Thank you,

Trijicon: your BIOS will automatically pick up the added RAM and tally the total in your system.
The voltage refers to the DRAM Voltage of the clock pulse needed to keep the sticks refreshed and active. There is no difference in performance of either 1.5 or 1.35 V, except that lower voltage RAM tends to overclock better, but thats something we don't need to worry about in the G74 (no overclocking allowed!). The big push nowadays among RAM manufacturers is to go "green", and try for the lowest power consumption possible in their hardware. Also, as CPU gates get smaller, less voltage is needed for subsystems like memory.

And yeah, RAM is silly cheap these days. You can pack 32GB into the G74 but thats overkill for most users: the only reason to do that is if you have software that actually uses >16GB, or you want to insulate the G74 from the future a bit (i.e. "future proofing", although what that term exactly means still evades me?);)
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Trijicon
Level 7
Ahh cool thanks for the info!

I just ordered the one stick to fill the extra slot to max it to 16. I use Photoshop, dreamweaver and illustrator all at the same time while having multiple net pages open so I am thinking that having that extra RAM will help move things along at a nice pace. The extra probably won't be noticed while playing games but for doing actual 'work' it will probably have a little bit of an effect. Plus, that extra ram bay is just lonely so I just wanted to fill it up 😄

Hey let me know if this works for you, I should have the same RAM that you have.

My laptop has 3 of these in it and I can't find a fourth one to buy anywhere:

ASint DDR3 4GB-1333
SSA302G08-GDJEC 1130

Thanks!
G74SX
-Intel X25-M 80 GB Mainstream SATA II SSD
-Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300

WhirledNews wrote:
Hey let me know if this works for you, I should have the same RAM that you have.

My laptop has 3 of these in it and I can't find a fourth one to buy anywhere:

ASint DDR3 4GB-1333
SSA302G08-GDJEC 1130

Thanks!

You can't assume that the same models use the same RAM brand....Asus installs several brands interchangeably.

PS: Quite a few owners here have replaced their RAM and probably still have the OEM modules. If you really want to track down another Asint module to match the ones you have, create a thread and ask....maybe someone has one they are willing to sell.

BrodyBoy wrote:
You can't assume that the same models use the same RAM brand....Asus installs several brands interchangeably.

PS: Quite a few owners here have replaced their RAM and probably still have the OEM modules. If you really want to track down another Asint module to match the ones you have, create a thread and ask....maybe someone has one they are willing to sell.

Well on the website he posted it says:
"Guaranteed-compatible with the ASUS G74SX (Quad Core)"

The picture of the 4GB, 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory module they have on there looks completely different from the memory modules that are in my G74SX. The one on the website has four black chips on it while the memory in my laptop has 8 on each one. Does that matter or is it just a design difference?
G74SX
-Intel X25-M 80 GB Mainstream SATA II SSD
-Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300

WhirledNews wrote:
The one on the website has four black chips on it while the memory in my laptop has 8 on each one. Does that matter or is it just a design difference?

It shouldn't, but it's nice to know that, if there IS any problem, they guarantee it.