cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please, help! USB problems with Asus X99-a motherboard

Paul_H
Level 7
Hi everyone!
So I decided to build my first custom pc and so far it's been kind of a headache.
I went for the X99-a motherboard and I ran into problems from the get-go. The most important being that I have weird issues with the USB ports, all of them.
This is my set-up:
Mobo: Asus X99-a
CPU: Intel i7 5820K
GPU: Geforce GTX 960
PSU: Corsair CS750M
DRAM: I have 4 DDR4 Kingston HyperX, 8 GHz each. Not sure about the name of the model, but the series on the box is HX421C14FBK4/32. Placed on the board like this: A1, B1, C1, D1.

I started running windows 7, and the ports were not working sometimes. All drivers installed, latest version of BIOS (3101) and everything. I wrote to Asus support, they just told me that I needed to RMA the board. Then, I discovered that if I got into BIOS and hard re-booted the pc (with the front button), next time I got in to the BIOS the usb ports would work, all of them. I re installed the intel chipset drivers and the usb drivers and again the ports stopped working. I would uninstall the drivers, get into the BIOS, do the reboot thingy, and boom! fixed. But still, there´s an issue there.

Then I decided to "upgrade" to windows 10, and again the usb ports are useless. I get into the BIOS, usb ports not working, re-boot and next time on BIOS usb ports work. I can see my flash drive connected, mouse works. But once I'm on windows, nothing works. Tried all kinds of drivers and solutions i could find online but still nothing. Every time I install or uninstall a driver, the usb ports stop working on BIOS (which is the only place they work on now) so I have to do the re-boot thing with the button to get them to work again.

On top of that, now my pc just won´t stay off. I shut it down, but after a couple of seconds it boots back up. I have to turn the power supply off after it shuts down to make sure it stays down.

I'm going to go back to win7 for now, but I'd really like to know what's up with my pc, it's really bugging me.

Any suggestions or ideas are much appreciated.
(Sorry it's such a long post, but it was kind of complicated to explain)
5 REPLIES 5

Chino wrote:
Update your motherboard's BIOS to the latest revision.

Yeah, I've done that.

Xtianp
Level 7
It's not a driver problem, it's a BIOS problem.
I have had issues. I've had the board longer and have experienced all kinds of different problems with USB through the various BIOS releases.
The last 2 BIOS releases have been the worst for me (3004 and 3101).
Last time I called Asus regarding this issue they said they're aware of this problem and to wait for the next BIOS release in which they're supposedly going to address it.

I had to revert back to 2101.

How about you try loading BIOS 2101 and see if the problems go away? You might have other problems, such as occasionally hanging on reboot (which has been my biggest issue).

I would give that a try. You can always go back to 3101 if you don't like it.

According to my husband here, he assumes that it has something to do with the Asus X99 and one of the Bios settings. He heard a lot of issues like problems with those boards aside that the USB ports not working.

Jenice_Valenti
Level 7
Were you able to fix the problem? One of my friend's computer sometimes act up like that.