cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS confusion BIOS 1 or 2 ? what is active now ?

Nonny
Level 10
Hello Friends,

After i read here something changed with the BIOS 3101 for some People , and i got some Windows 10 updates i try to update my BIOS again to 3101 , my BIS 2101
works fine so i belived to switch to BIOS 2 , there are some little LEDs what shows what BIOS is active now , ok i swiched to the LED to the right so i should be now on BIOS 2

OK , then the Mashine is Booting up it was on BIOS 0901 , this i wanted to update so if something isnt well i still have BIOS 2101 on BIOS 1 (Left LED) ....
So i start the Flash update Prozess to 3101 with the Asus Suite 3 and the Flash prozess was looking good no Problems , 3 or 4 Reeboots and i checked the info
it showed me its now on 2101 ??? but i selected the BIOS 3101 to Flash ... i checked the LEDs on the Motherboard it had swichet to BIOS 1 again (Left LED) , ok then i tryed
to switch to BIOS 2 on board again , then the same it shows the reoot/Update prozess 3-4 times then again Shows BIOS 1 it switched again ...

then i went to the BIOS there is BIOS Tools , also Flashback tool also copie to BIOS 1 or 2 , it showed me "Now BIOS status 2" ok Fine but this one should be now 3101
and not 2101 , ok so maybe i got confuced and used the funktion force BIOS 1 to Boot ... then i restarts and showed again Version 2101 but "now BIOS staturs" say its BIOS 1
I checkit it but LED on the Motherboard have not switched at any time between these 2 LEDs , something it wrong ... can someone tell me how i find out that BOTH
BIOS are corectly working i get allways version 2101 BIOS as current but what happend to my Flash from BIOS 2 to version 3101 ? is BIOS 2 now Damaged and should be
repaired ? How i Find this out ?

Short -

1. LEDs on mother Borad dosent Switch from BIOS 1 or 2 it shows allways BIOS 1
not importand what i Force in BIOS to boot up 1 or 2
2. Switch to BIOS 2 with Motherbord Switch changes to BIOS 1 (LED left) after 3 or 4 Reboot , i saw that but in BIOS still shows
"Now BIOS status 1 or 2 " depends what i forced to boot

STRANGE i got confused here a little , can someone tel me how i can be shure both BIOS are Working , because i would like this as Securety backup just in case !
But now i am not shure the Backup securety is still intact, please let me know how i can find this out .

Thanks in advance!

Nonny
8 REPLIES 8

red454
Level 11
Are you powering down (Shut Down from Windows) and then pushing the little red BIOS change button?
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

red454 wrote:
Are you powering down (Shut Down from Windows) and then pushing the little red BIOS change button?

I Pressed the Button When i start the mashine or start the mashine "restet" button and directly the BIOS switch after reset the LED switch then on the Right side , but it
switches back somehow 😕 i will check this later again and see what happends , then i write again how it looks , but i belive it switches back to BIOS 1 .

Thanks

Nonny
Level 10
Hello again ,

it looks like my bios chip 1 dosnt work anymore how do i fix this , place the bios on the usb flash drive name it R5E.cap , because i dont find the bios renamer tool, and switch to bios chip 1
and power with USB flash drive pluged in on damaged bios chip one, then holing the ROG button on the back 5 sec. ? is that corect ?

Thanks !

Nonny

Edit : BIOS 1 is down Q-Code is "00" and no other LEDs are on , boot loop , i tried USB Flashback on chip 01 and it starts blinking the BIOS 1 LED and ready also from my USB flasdrive
but it looks like it dosent help , still the same trouble , boot loop an Q-Code "00" ... anyone a idea how to repair the BIOS chip , i cant belive its gone
i didnt do nothing stupid with it , no idea what happend here 😕

Edit 2 : I read that Copy BIOS 1 to BIOS 2 option Can damage the BIOS chip by not corect Programming of this function ?? NO right , because this is what i
was trieing also , is there a way to fix this if this is the problem ??

Vlada011
Level 10
This is ASUS BIOS Flash Back

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

Please read careful and put switch in position 1 shutdown PC and follow procedure.
You need to leave little to finish process, maybe even 2-3 minutes.

1.Do not unplug the portable storage device, power the system down, or press the CLR_CMOS button while BIOS updating is ongoing, or the update will be interrupted. In case of interruption, follow the recommended procedures again to complete the BIOS update.
2. If the light flashes for five seconds and turns stable, USB BIOS Flashback is not operating properly. This may be caused by improper installation of the portable storage device, an error in the file name, or incompatibility in file formats. If this is the case, restart the system until the light clears, and check the file name and format.
3. BIOS updates may affect a PC in various ways. Should any issues with the BIOS arise as a result or your system is unable to boot, please contact your local ASUS support center for further assistance

Check few video clips if need. Look careful whole video to the end and how long need to finish process

Vlada011 wrote:
This is ASUS BIOS Flash Back

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

Please read careful and put switch in position 1 shutdown PC and follow procedure.
You need to leave little to finish process, maybe even 2-3 minutes.

1.Do not unplug the portable storage device, power the system down, or press the CLR_CMOS button while BIOS updating is ongoing, or the update will be interrupted. In case of interruption, follow the recommended procedures again to complete the BIOS update.
2. If the light flashes for five seconds and turns stable, USB BIOS Flashback is not operating properly. This may be caused by improper installation of the portable storage device, an error in the file name, or incompatibility in file formats. If this is the case, restart the system until the light clears, and check the file name and format.
3. BIOS updates may affect a PC in various ways. Should any issues with the BIOS arise as a result or your system is unable to boot, please contact your local ASUS support center for further assistance

Check few video clips if need..... looot more text 😉

Thanks a lot for the time to send me this tip , i did yesterday 2 times with my USB Flash the Process as follows:

Shut down mashine,
Plug in the USB drive in the ROG connect port
switched to BIOS chip 1 , the one that dosent boot
pressed the ROG connect button for 3-5 secounds , then LED on the USB drive starts blinking (Reading from UBS drive i guess)
LED from BIOS chip 1 starts blinking , first slowly after some time blinking faster - USB and BIOS LED blicking together here
maybe around 2 minutes nothing blinks anymore and thats all ... sadly it stasy on code 00

So i belive this ist what i have done BUT i didnt had the new updated link from you , i will try this again later on but i belive i dindt made a mistake here
anyway i will try again after taking a look into the video , i will post what happend 🙂

Just in case where to find a BIOS chip if needed is there a recomended contact who sells these chips ?

Thanks a lot and with friendly greetings

Nonny

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Get a new BIOS chip from here http://www.bios-chip24.com/epages/63730052.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63730052/Products/30403

Avoid sellers on Ebay

Thanks ! I needed a recomandation because i didnt wanted to buy a chip from like an unkown seller where maybe the chips issnt working, ok i will buy from the
bios-chip24.com page then Thanks a lot !

With friendly greetings

Nonny

Nonny wrote:
Shut down mashine,
Plug in the USB drive in the ROG connect port
switched to BIOS chip 1 , the one that dosent boot
pressed the ROG connect button for 3-5 secounds , then LED on the USB drive starts blinking (Reading from UBS drive i guess)
LED from BIOS chip 1 starts blinking , first slowly after some time blinking faster - USB and BIOS LED blicking together here
maybe around 2 minutes nothing blinks anymore and thats all ... sadly it stasy on code 00

So i belive this ist what i have done BUT i didnt had the new updated link from you , i will try this again later on but i belive i dindt made a mistake here
anyway i will try again after taking a look into the video , i will post what happend 🙂

Just in case where to find a BIOS chip if needed is there a recomended contact who sells these chips ?

USB BIOS Flashback
1 - Shut down mashine (computer)
2 - Plug in the USB drive (USB Flash Drive 2.0 only, 4-8gb) in the ROG connect port
3 - Power off (disconnect, de-energize) 1-2-3sec
4 - Power on (Not start computer)
5 - press the ROG connect button for 3-5 secounds ......
6 - BIOS update
7 - end BIOS update
8 - Start mashine (computer)