cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really long POST time on Strix X99

Skraydd
Level 7
Hello everyone.

Today I switched from my Rampage V Extreme to the new Strix X99 Gaming. I know it's a downgrade, but I needed an ATX form factor. I also upgraded my RAM, from 16Gb to 64.

Everything work fine, my 5820k easily hit 4.7Ghz, just like on the RVE. Everything but one thing: the POST time is really, REALLY long. It was already long on the RVE (5-8 seconds), but on the Strix it takes up to 20 seconds ! I use a 950 Pro from Samsung, and it's kinda ridiculous to have an instant boot from the drive if the POST time is that long.
My UEFI settings are exactly the same as they used to be one my RVE. I tried to enable Fast cold boot from the DRAM timing menu, but it didn't change anything.

Do you have any idea to solve this ? Is it because of the 64Gb of RAM (I read that X99 isn't that great with huge amount of RAM when it comes to POST times)

Here are my full specs if it can help:
i7 5820k OC@4.7Ghz
Asus Strix X99 Gaming
2x Asus Strix 1080 OC SLI
64Gb Corsair Vengeance 8x8Gb DDR4-2400
Samsung 950 Pro 256Gb (OS only)
2x Samsung 850 Pro 1To
Corsair HX1200i
Corsair H105

Any help is welcome. Thank you in advance !
11 REPLIES 11

potter720
Level 7
Similar problem here, mine takes 30 seconds to POST. Any luck on a solution? I' m about to RMA my board.

Menthol
Level 14
I don't own one of the new boards but on the early X99 boards with the new bios for Broadwell CPU's the boot time seems to be longer than on earlier bios for Haswell CPU's, maybe it adds extra time to determine which CPU plus the RAM tests that occur but it is not a board defect that I know of
if you have Windows 10 installed in UEFI mode go to CSM and set disabled may help boot speeds, if you use Win 7 leave enabled or auto
Boot device control set to UEFI only, boot from network devices to disabled, boot to storage device disabled or UEFI first, same for PCIE/PCI device
Secure boot menu, OS type UEFI for Win 10, other for Win 7
These settings may or may not help with boot speeds, and the more memory obviously may extend boot time somewhat

Personally I think people are to concerned with boot speed rather than how your system operates once booted, ASUS puts a lot of effort into making sure there boards operate stable, there is so many combinations of hardware that making sure it is stable with all combinations is extremely difficult

Hello and thank you for replying. I'm sorry for my late reply, I wasn't near my computer last month.

I was scared of disabling CSM, because when I tried it 6 months ago, on my RVE, I got stuck in a loop without being able to enter the BIOS nor Windows. But I decided to follow your advice and tried to disable it on the Strix. Aaaaaand it works: POST time is definitely better. Now it takes 4-5 seconds instead of 20. I also changed Boot logo display to disable, as it seems to help (even with 0 second on auto, it took 3-4 seconds to get over this screen).

I personally think that boot time is important: let's say that it takes 5 seconds to boot on a 950 Pro + optimised BIOS, 40 seconds on a 850 Evo + unoptimised BIOS, and 3 minutes on a random HDD + unoptimised BIOS
950 Pro: You boot your PC once everyday, you waste 5*365=1825 seconds, which is 30 minutes every year
850 Evo: You boot your PC once everyday, you waste 40*365=14600 seconds, which is 243 minutes, which is 4 hours every year
Random HDD: You boot your PC once everyday, you waste 180*365=65700 seconds, which is 1095 minutes, which is 18 hours every year

For me there is a difference between 30 minutes, 4 hours and 18 hours. 😄

Raja
Level 13
If one spends more time BOOTing a system than using it, using sleep instead of powering down the system is a great way to get back to the desktop.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Personally I find the BOOT time a bit of a problem...since it's never going to be short enough to satisfy, I think I would like it to be longer....at the moment, it is just long enough to make me want to start a post about the boot time...but not long enough for me to actually be able to grab my mobile and write a post about the boot time.... which leaves me in a bit of a catch 22

🙂

will_s
Level 7
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2447240

Have heard about this and some say it may be this but I have heard and somewhere something about the M.2 Samsung drive not been correctly set
causing this problem. I just cant remember what was said and where......I am just about to build a new system with Strix and that drive.
will

NemesisChild
Level 12
Itr doesn't matter if it's SATA or M.2, it has to do with DDR4 memory training on these new platforms.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

will_s
Level 7
Ok..have read that in other threads in this forum and I think my memory is ready to graduate from kindergarten

Ok...will latest BIOS upgrades help ?
will