cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G751 Cooling Mod

antoine52200
Level 8
I've been thinking about modding myg751 to run cooler. I've done some research and decided to try something new.

I never use my bluray/dvd player. So i'm gonna add 1 or 2 heat pipes to the CPU/GPU connected to it's own heat sink with a stock g751 fan where the dvd player should be.
A friend can 3d print a custom vent door to make it as clean as possible.

My question is: can i connect the new fan to the stock cpu fan? Will it have enough power for both fans?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Dreamonic
Level 12
Not to deter you but the ODD enclosure is rather slim for all of that since the keyboard is literally touching it as it is. It would be an interesting mod to see though!

If you see the Lenovo Y500 idea they used as a fan cooling solution in their proprietary ODD replacement option, you'll find how slim profile of a fan is required to do that INSIDE the chassis (ODD enclosure) and not just for the tray itself.

Running 2 fans off 1 header can be done, fans will still operate the same but increased power through that fan header could potentially be an issue later down the road for your MB or even the fans. Most people just do the USB port mod for another fan but I can see you wanting to keep things as stock looking as possible (cleaner). The G751 fans should be 5v 300-500mA and IIRC, most fan headers can support 1A. You'd probably need JustinThyme thoughts though but I think you're safe to proceed so as long as you get another 5v 300-500mA fan for your secondary.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Not to deter you but the ODD enclosure is rather slim for all of that since the keyboard is literally touching it as it is. It would be an interesting mod to see though!

If you see the Lenovo Y500 idea they used as a fan cooling solution in their proprietary ODD replacement option, you'll find how slim profile of a fan is required to do that INSIDE the chassis (ODD enclosure) and not just for the tray itself.

Running 2 fans off 1 header can be done, fans will still operate the same but increased power through that fan header could potentially be an issue later down the road for your MB or fans. Most people just do the USB port mod for another fan but I can see you wanting to keep things as stock looking as possible (cleaner). The G751 fans should be 5v 300-500mA and IIRC, most fan headers can support 1A. You'd probably need JustinThyme thoughts though but I think you're safe to proceed so as long as you get another 5v 300-500mA fan for your secondary.

Dreamonic
Level 12

Running 2 fans off 1 header can be done, fans will still operate the same but increased power through that fan header could potentially be an issue later down the road for your MB or even the fans. Most people just do the USB port mod for another fan but I can see you wanting to keep things as stock looking as possible (cleaner). The G751 fans should be 5v 300-500mA and IIRC, most fan headers can support 1A. You'd probably need JustinThyme thoughts though but I think you're safe to proceed so as long as you get another 5v 300-500mA fan for your secondary.

antoine52200
Level 8
Thanks for your reply man, i will look into it , and if i have to i will go usb.. There are some feets under the dvd player, and i have the tools to trim them it should give me just enough
space to do it! The heat sink i'm using is a low profile, with 7mm heat pipes