Did you mean: 

The Broadwell-E Overclocking Guide

Raja
Level 13
28 REPLIES 28

Qwinn
Level 11
Nice guide, thanks kindly.

However, if you wish to make adjustments to the CPU Cache Voltage, we recommend using Manual or Offset Modes, as the Adaptive Voltage for Uncore does not work correctly for overclocking. This issue exists within the Intel microcode.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tested the newer microcodes to see if Intel has fixed Adaptive cache? I think they fairly recently came out with microcode version 38, but even the guys at win-raid haven't produced a modded BIOS with it yet, I don't think.

http://www.win-raid.com/t1893f44-RE-OFFER-ASUS-Rampage-V-Extreme-modded-BIOSes-8.html#msg28147

EDIT: I tried actually finding this microcode 38, and couldn't do it. But then I tried finding 36, which has been out for a while, and I can't find that either!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Does Broadwell E actually OC? 😉

Nice guide though!

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Nice guide though!

You have to own one to overclock it Arne. Vicarious users and armchair theorists need not apply 😉

Raja@ASUS wrote:
You have to own one to overclock it Arne. Vicarious users and armchair theorists need not apply 😉

Arne, I believe the word you are looking for is "burn!". :cool:

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Nice guide though!

Ofc it do, My 6900K @ 4.5Ghz performce the same as 5960X@5/5.1Ghz in 3dmark cpu scores :rolleyes:

Nicklas0912 wrote:
Ofc it do, My 6900K @ 4.5Ghz performce the same as 5960X@5/5.1Ghz in 3dmark cpu scores :rolleyes:

Are you able to get through handbrake with that? Voltage? Nice OC regardless!

Nicklas0912 wrote:

Mikan02
Level 7
@Raja
Thank you, this helped a lot ^^

@Arne
I think they run better at everyday use ^^
A 6950X @4.0-4.2 runs like a champ and feels smoother than my 5960x´s @ 4.5 and @ 4.6 in games and so on.
You got a really good 5960x, upgrading to 6900K that is the upgrade for 5960x might be a gamble on speed,
but I think even if you reach only 4.7-4.9 it will still feel like it is smoother on everyday use.
Redstone update this summer from Microsoft will have support to better use differently tuned cores too,
and there is no restriction on what speed the different cores run at on a 6xxx like previous generations 🙂

Edit: Balanced power inside Windows behave almost like High Performance power on my 6950X.
I think Intel focused on increasing general efficiency of CPU on Broadwell^^

Feel free to wait for next gen, but you are missing out. 😉

drop4205
Level 12
push the red button Jim for max overclock
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11