cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Some Help

DexSky
Level 8
hi. i just got my laptop a couple of days ago and i need to ask a few questions.
it might be a funny question but, here we go.
erm, what is the use of GameFast and FastBoot? can someone let me know?
11 REPLIES 11

BrodyBoy
Level 10
GameFast is supposed to improve game performance by pausing non-critical system processes when you play games. FastBoot is a user-interface for managing boot priorities, and lets you delay application and services launches until after WIndows has fully booted.

Both of these utilities fall under the category of "Asus crapware." ( So does the Rotation Desktop you asked about elsewhere....I suspect the reason no one has helped you with that is because we uninstalled it the minute we turned on the computer! 😉 )

There's a lot of this stuff in the OEM installation. Not only is it unnecessary, but the bigger issue with crapware is that it significantly increases the odds of software conflicts & problems, and diagnosing those problems is very difficult in a system cluttered with a bunch of these programs.

BrodyBoy wrote:
...these utilities fall under the category of "Asus crapware." ( So does the Rotation Desktop you asked about elsewhere....I suspect the reason no one has helped you with that is because we uninstalled it the minute we turned on the computer! 😉 )

Aww Jeez! I just finished configuring the Rotational Desktop the way I wanted...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Aww Jeez! I just finished configuring the Rotational Desktop the way I wanted...

Cool! Then that makes you the "Rotational Desktop" guy around here....a couple folks want some help with it. Chop chop! lol!

DexSky
Level 8
ok thx.. ^^

PILGRIM
Level 11
Hi DexSky,

In short, what BrodyBoy is basically saying is for you to do away with all those ASUS "crapware"
if you want your laptop to have less problems..

What model is your laptop, by the way?
ASUS G74SX-3DE

DexSky
Level 8
owh.. is there a list of crapware that i can refer to? because i don't really know which one is and which is not.. haha
im a newbie.. 😛
erm G53SX

DexSky wrote:
owh.. is there a list of crapware that i can refer to? because i don't really know which one is and which is not.. haha
im a newbie.. 😛

We're all newbies at some point....so don't hesitate to ask all the questions you need to. There are plenty of knowledgeable owners here who like to help. 🙂

As for crapware, look in Control Panel -> Uninstall a program. Virtually everything by Asus except the ATK Package is optional, as are a bunch of others (like Nuance pdf Reader). There are a few, like Power4Gear, that some owners like to to use. Personally, I avoid all of it, because I like to use clean, reliable computers that don't flake out on me when I'm trying to use them.

Somewhere, I posted a screenshot of Control Panel and marked all the "non-essential." If you want, I can try to track that down and link or post it for you.

BrodyBoy wrote:
We're all newbies at some point....so don't hesitate to ask all the questions you need to. There are plenty of knowledgeable owners here who like to help. 🙂

As for crapware, look in Control Panel -> Uninstall a program. Virtually everything by Asus except the ATK Package is optional, as are a bunch of others (like Nuance pdf Reader). There are a few, like Power4Gear, that some owners like to to use. Personally, I avoid all of it, because I like to use clean, reliable computers that don't flake out on me when I'm trying to use them.

Somewhere, I posted a screenshot of Control Panel and marked all the "non-essential." If you want, I can try to track that down and link or post it for you.

yeah sure.. thx by the way. 🙂

PILGRIM
Level 11
Guess what?.. I'm a newbie, too! I'm telling you beforehand, stick to this forum and you'll learn a lot. 🙂

For Driver updates, go to JRd1st's thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s

Regarding the ASUS "crapware", I didn't install any of the apps in the Driver CD that came with my laptop
except the Power4Gear Hybrid, USB charger plus, and the Virtual Camera.

All my drivers were downloaded from JRd1st's thread..
ASUS G74SX-3DE