cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Extreme Issue

Jimz0r
Level 7
Hi Guys,

There is a long story that isn't really pertinant to the question I am going to be asking. Basicaly I bought one of these boards and from the start it seemed to have issues with qcode 55 and 53. We may have narrowed the issue down to bent motherboard pins and a possibly faulty CPU.

I just want someone with more experience to give me their thoughts on this subject.

So originally when I found the bent motherboard pins I sent it back to the retailer and they submitted it to ASUS for repair. It came back repaired but something that puzzles me is it seems to be a different socket completely but theres something that troubles me.

Here is the socket before the board left my possession:

http://imgur.com/5yFf1xy

Here is the socket after I got it back from the retailer with the repaired socket:

http://imgur.com/VBRp8O4

Now it's cool that it is a completely different socket but what concerns me is that little bit in the top right corner of the socket where there appears to be a void of pins that wasn't there on the original socket... That area had pins before. I can't tell if this is an issue or not because I can't fiind a pinout diagram for socket 1151. Does this look normal to anyone with more experiience than I or should I be worried that I am still going to have problems?
15 REPLIES 15

Nate152
Hi Jimz0r

They both look the same but in the second picture to the far right at the top edge of the socket it looks like there are some bent socket pins.

Nate152 wrote:
They both look the same

Different colour, Different type of pins on the bottom section (I know they are the same socket but it is definitely not that same socket that originally came on the board.)

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Jimz0r

in the second picture to the far right at the top edge of the socket it looks like there are some bent socket pins.

That's what I thought but this is shipped back from ASUS after the retailer had tested it to be working aswell. I know the photo is a bit blurry when it zooms in, I might try and get a better one when i get a chance. But you agree that that section where there is like a void of pins definitely isn't normal right?

I havn't put a CPU in it yet guess I am just going to wait and hope when i get my CPU back it works. This build has been a nightmare so far. Fighting me every step of the process >_<

Nate152
Both sockets look the same to me with the same row of pins missing, you can't see the other row in the second picture but I'm sure it's the same.

If you have a magnifying glass inspect the socket in good light for the bent pins along the top edge and any others that may be bent. If you can confirm they are bent I would get back on the phone with your retailer.

I think we might have a bit of confusion as to what we are talking about haha. I have circled the locations that I find concerning.

http://imgur.com/fyvG0LF

Nate152
yes the one area you have circled is the one I was mentioning about, the one along the edge of the socket. The other area you have circled could be damaged too, it's kind of hard to tell.

Are there any bent socket pins along that edge?

Nate152 wrote:
yes the one area you have circled is the one I was mentioning about, the one along the edge of the socket. The other area you have circled could be damaged too, it's kind of hard to tell.

Are there any bent socket pins along that edge?

I will check when I get home in a day. The room I was in had pretty poor lighting so being able to tell the difference was a little tricky, I don't have anything to magnify it except for the phone i too the photo with. Will have to try and get a clearer picture.

Nate152
Yeah double check and triple check the socket pins are all ok before installing your cpu, to me it looks like there is a problem with some of the pins.

Chino
Level 15
Not sure if it's the angle at which the pic was taken. But there seems to be a bigger space between those pins that you circled.

Jimz0r
Level 7
ok so i think it might just be the angle that the photo was taken from, i have taken a better picture of the top section of the socket and while it looks like there is still some sort of anomaly in one section i think it is just shadowing that is creating the illusion that there is bent pins.

http://imgur.com/6aMFKlK