cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with overclocking my cpu

CiNCiTy
Level 7
Hello, as the title says am looking to overclock both my cpu and my gpu to boost my gaming performance as am not happy with what i get in most games and i dont know why but with my setup i should be getting good results unless something is wrong with my setup,

Here is my full specs,
sli gtx 980ti gigabyte windforce (Boost: 1241 MHz / Base: 1152 MHz) & evga SC ( not overclocked ) (Base Clock: 1102 MHz / Boost Clock: 1190 MHz )
i7 3960x not overclocked
asus rampage iv latest bios
4x8gb 2400mhz ram corsair platinum
Evga Supernova 1500
custom cooling for cpu
i game on Asus rog swift gsync 144hz

I game on sony 4k tv XBR-65X900A,

am new to overclocking i only done it once with cpu but through the bios profiles so i dont know if its normal for the decrease of the memory freq from 2400 to 1333 or not,

i also would like to push my cards into overclocking if possible to see increase in my gaming performance,

if you want more information regarding anything please let me know i did some 3dmark also to see the score..

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12578739
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12578840

Thanks,
72 REPLIES 72

CiNCiTy
Level 7
i was reading some guides and i checked Raja`s easy guide for my mb but when i followed the guide and press f10 and restarted my pc kept on restarting and not powering on i had to reset bios and i set it on gamer oc auto profile it worked fine but when i do manuel overclocking never works what am i doing wrong ? :S

Nate152
Hi CiNCiTY

An easy way to do it would be to set the AI Overclock Tuner to manual, sync all cores and set the cpu core ratio to 40 and scroll down to cpu core voltage or vcore and enter in 1.35v. Run a stress test and keep an eye on your temps, 90c is ok for stress testing but for everyday 24/7 use 70c is max temp.

If you pass the stress test raise the core ratio to 41 and test again, keep raising the core raio and testing until it fails and back the core ratio down 1 or you can give it a little more voltage until it becomes stable.

Realbench is good to use for stress testing.

http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

Real temp 3.70 or HWinfo is good to use for cpu temp monitoring.

Let me know what you end up with and what your cpu temps are, if you have any questions please ask.

CiNCiTy
Level 7
when i do this dram target changes back to 1333 and my rams freq 2400 and if i did change the ram freq to 2400 pc doesnt start and keeps restarting and it fails till i reset bios and reset settings back ?

now i did what u said exactly without changing the dram freq its 1333 but overclocking did not fail but i know i could go way higher i have custom cooling and all but the problem is the ram freq is it normal to lose all that freq ?

Nate152
You can find your maximum overclock with the cpu then work with the ram, I can help you set your ram once you find your maximum cpu overclock.

You can let the ram at 1333MHz for now. 🙂

CiNCiTy
Level 7
i appreciate your help 🙂

but regarding my cpu maximum for now its 41 and i ran realbench stress test for 15 mins, on the last min 14 min and like 30 secs i got blue screen error says bad_pool_caller but temp never exceeded 73c on real temp ?

is that my limit ? becuse i used oc profile gaming which gives me 4.7 and i used it for days and it was fine my problem was the ram thats all.

thanks in advance,

Nate152
No 4.1GHz shouldn't be your limit, reset to defaults and start over and see how it goes.

CiNCiTy
Level 7
so far 4.5ghz and stress test passed with maximum 80C sane voltage as u told me 1.35 and didnt touch anything in the ram , should i do anything in the voltage or i could go higher and stress test again ?

Nate152
Ok good you're making progress and 80c is fine for stress testing temps.

Keep the voltage at 1.35v and see how far you can go by raising the cpu core ratio by one, next try the core ratio at 46 with the same voltage.

Keep raising the core ratio and testing until the test fails.

Great job so far ! 🙂

CiNCiTy
Level 7
again at 4.6ghz and stress test was almost done at on last min i got blue screen memory management , at 45ghz test stable, do i increase the voltage or something ? because it seems i even got blue screen when i restarted my pc without doing any stress test at 46 so it might not be stable ?

what do you think ?