cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Impact mITX PCI-E slot not working.

Chalita
Level 7
Hello!

I just purchased an impact mITX board and boy is it ever nice. Once i was done putting it together and booted into the BIOS, i noticed that it did not pick up my GPU.
I swapped it with another card and the board still did not recognize it. Under graphic configuration, all i can see is 2 options, IGFX and PEG, their was no third option like in the manual.

Computer specs:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Impact
i7 6700K
Corsair SF600 600 watt PSU
Corsair H100i V2
2x8GB G.skill Tridentz DDR 3200
Sapphire HD 7970 Dual-X GPU

I've tried the following things;

• Switched the PCI-E power connectors on the modular PSU and GPU.
  • Used a Multi-meter to determine that the card was receiving the right voltage. (12v)
  • Re-seated the card.
  • reset the CMOS
  • Booted up Windows and installed the AMD drivers to see if that can help. (Windows does not recognise the card)
  • Put the card back in my old system to see if it works. It does.

I am able to boot into Windows 10 with the integrated graphics and everything runs stable.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

Chino
Level 15

Legolas
Level 9
Does your video card work? Did you try it on another motherboard? If everything works, it may be the video card. Please verify.
Sincerely,
Legolas

I tried my graphics card back into my old PC and it worked just fine. No Q-codes, or Q LEDs. Under tools in the BIOS where you can select the pcie slot. it shows nothing. No matter what i put in it.

I feel like i am SOL. I probably have to RMA it. The thing is, it runs perfect. Windows boots up fine and prime95 stress test passes with no sweat. Even the Intel diagnostics tool passes with flying colours.

EDIT:

I think it could be a BIOS issue. Anyway to downgrade from 1701?

EDIT 2: Q-code on the back after booting into Windows 10 is A0

Chino
Level 15
The A0 QCODE is telling me that you're inside your OS.

Are you getting any image on your monitor? If not, have you tried swapping outputs or cables?

No image on my monitor no matter what port or cables on the 7970.. Only the HDMI port on the motherboard using the integrated gpu in the i7 works.

I know the card is fine. I am using it right now with my old computer to reply.

Below you will see that there is no option for PCI-E for primary display.

Chalita wrote:
No image on my monitor no matter what port or cables on the 7970.. Only the HDMI port on the motherboard using the integrated gpu in the i7 works.

I know the card is fine. I am using it right now with my old computer to reply.

Correct.

When you have your GPU installed, please locate the 4 QLEDs for me. See if any of them remain lit.

Chino wrote:
Correct.

When you have your GPU installed, please locate the 4 QLEDs for me. See if any of them remain lit.

None of the LEDs are lit. Only LED on the board that is lit is the HDD access indicator.

GotKevlar
Level 7
Unless I am wrong..which is possible..you have auto, igfx and peg....PEG is PCI Express Graphics.