cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero Alpha - WiFi Engine

rogLambda
Level 7
I downloaded the latest Ai3 suite from support page. But unable to install Wi-Fi engine. Even when I manually try installing the same by double clicking on the Setup in the WiFi engine folder, I just see a installer window & then nothing happens. Any idea how to get this working?
8 REPLIES 8

CyberCub
Level 7
Just going on record to say I have the exact problem. Board ADVERTISES features with WI-FI and we can't even install the software for it??? Come on ASUS whats up?

meankeys
Level 13
It Is enabled it the bios right?

I did some research and found that the windows 10 driver for the QUALCOMM wireless on the hero alpha does not have "Hosted Network Supported" enabled which the wifi-engine wouldn't even work without that support.

I found that by forcing it to use the windows 8.1 drivers (latest version) it enabled the Hosted Network Sharing. Once I got that driver in I followed instructions from here http://www.windowscentral.com/how-turn-your-windows-10-pc-wireless-hotspot

Note once you get the right driver in and your hotspot showing you have to pre-configure clients that are going to connect to your new hotspot.

For example your virtual adapter that is created you need to give it a IP address. For me I did 192.168.1.169 netmask 255.255.255.0

On each client you have to give them a static IP like,
IP 192.168.1.20
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.169
dns 8.8.8.8

The reason you have to do this is because there is no DHCP happening.

Here's hoping ASUS gets a proper working windows 10 driver and wifi-engine support with it soon!

I have the exact same issue, thanks to CyberCub I could install the windows 8.1 driver. That helped me at first, I could set up an AP and steam link worked fine.
However, during the day, WIFI interference is too high, leading to packet loss.
To avoid this, I'd like to switch the band from 2.4ghz to 5ghz but I can't. Apparently Wifi-Engine is necessary for this.

Can anyone confirm/deny or offer a workaround?

FelixFFM wrote:
I have the exact same issue, thanks to CyberCub I could install the windows 8.1 driver. That helped me at first, I could set up an AP and steam link worked fine.
However, during the day, WIFI interference is too high, leading to packet loss.
To avoid this, I'd like to switch the band from 2.4ghz to 5ghz but I can't. Apparently Wifi-Engine is necessary for this.

Can anyone confirm/deny or offer a workaround?

If only we could remove the check for windows version when installing the wifi-engine. It knows if your on windows 10 and refuses to install.

Can anyone confirm if it's even possible to set the wifi band to 5ghz on the Hero Alpha wi-fi adapter? Someone on Windows 8.1 maybe?

What 8.1 driver are you installing? The Qualcomm version?

AI3 states: Device not found! To use the WiFi Engine, please enable your WiFi device and install the driver"

This has been an issue since i first built this, and still ongoing i see. I almost rolled back to Win7 several times because of this issue.

I found this option a while ago, it showed promise - but still states 'No' for supported under CMD-netsh wlan show drivers

from CMD:
-netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NetworkName key=YourPassword
-netsh wlan start hostednetwork

ALL INFORMATION LEADS TO HERE: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd815243(v=vs.85).aspx