cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hdmi?

City_Builder
Level 7
Hi,

I really enjoy my G74Sx with the one exception of the lower screen resolution (1600x900), is it possible for me to hook up an HDMI cable between the laptop and my old desktop monitor and use the native resolution of my desktop monitor (1920x1200) or will I be limited to the 1600x900 that the laptop displays on it's own monitor.

Don't really want to waste money buying an HDMI cable if I can't use full resolution of my desktop monitor.

Thanks,
20 REPLIES 20

BrodyBoy
Level 10
You should be able to use 1920x1080.

City_Builder
Level 7
Okay, my mistake, my desktop monitor is only dvi, it doesn't even have an HDMI input, so I guess it would only be the VGA connector that I can use from the laptop to the desktop monitor.

Yep, I've got my G74 docked and hooked into a 1920x1200 monitor through the VGA DSUB out. Works smashing.
Do either of you know if one can run a second external monitor by using the HDMI out port too?
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
Yep, I've got my G74 docked and hooked into a 1920x1200 monitor through the VGA DSUB out. Works smashing.
Do either of you know if one can run a second external monitor by using the HDMI out port too?

When I was experimenting with connecting my LCD TV to the G74SX-A1 using HDMI or VGA, Screen Resolution would show 2 external monitors, but one HAD to be disabled. So if I had to guess, I'd say the GTX 560m supports only one external monitor.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

City_Builder
Level 7
Fostert, do you get a noticeable decrease in fps when playing more intense games on the external monitor, being as it's a higher resolution?

Sorry I don't game with this notebook. But from my understanding it makes sense that one would get lower frame rates on a higher resolution, since theres just that much more information for the GPU to process. Do you have your drivers 3D enabled by chance? I think I've read that this will also lower your frame rates even if you are playing a 2D game, though I am certainly not an expert on this.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Whatever happened to optical-out? Seems like laptops always used to have that option.... :mad:

X-ROG
Level 15
You can convert HDMI to DVI easily - you just need to buy an adapter or an HDMI to DVI cable. Try local tech stores, or ask on local forums if people have one spare. 🙂

The Nvidia drivers will output the display at 1920x1080p/1200p no problem; it's just like setting up a dual display on a normal PC 🙂

If you run the games through that instead of your HD+ display you will get a lower FPS because of the extra res it has to power. As ever it's about finding the right settings; perhaps lowering the detail a little or turning off things like SSAO if the game supports it.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
You can convert HDMI to DVI easily - you just need to buy an adapter or an HDMI to DVI cable.

It should be noted, however, that the G74 offers no other digital audio-out option. So you can use a DVI adapter to output video (to an external monitor or TV), but you'll have no parallel path for audio. (So I guess you could output a great-looking blu-ray to your nice big 3D TV, only to listen to it on the G74 speakers!)