cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random power losses on R5E

teekuppi233
Level 7
Hi! So i've been using my current build with rampage v extreme for year now and i have new issue with my system, that is it randomly loses power and restarts right after.
It doesn't matter if rig is on idle or full load. I tried to rma my psu (seasonic 1000w platinum) but there was nothing wrong found in it, so now i'm thinking could it be because of motherboard?
13 REPLIES 13

ChasBurkhart
Level 7
Had the same issue several times and it was always a bad power supply. Have you also checked your temps and made sure you are solid there?

Also what BIOS version are you running? There was an issue with this shortly after release.

According to HWMonitor CPU temps range from 47c to 64c and "mainboard" 32c.

I have been using BIOS version 0802 (was stable so i didn't see reason to change until i started to have this power loss problem) and right now i'm using 3009 and i still have this issue.

teekuppi233 wrote:

I have been using BIOS version 0802 (was stable so i didn't see reason to change until i started to have this power loss problem) and right now i'm using 3009 and i still have this issue.

I have it aswell sometimes , when i start up my pc, it starts and then after 2 seconds shuts down and restart automaticly and it starts good after that.

Don't know why it does that, maybe memory training?

teekuppi233 wrote:

What are your full specifications for R5E build? What cooling solution do you have? Thermal paste?
Did you reseat all components? Overclocking? Did you clear CMOS?
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
What are your full specifications for R5E build? What cooling solution do you have? Thermal paste?
Did you reseat all components? Overclocking? Did you clear CMOS?

All parts: Rampage V Extreme, I7-5930k, Noctua NH-D15, Crucial 16GB(4x4GB) DDR4 CL16 1.2V 2133mhz, 2x Nvidia 680, Seasonic 1000w platinum, Samsung 850 pro 512GB SSD (OS), Silicon Power S60 120GB SSD, WD Blue 1TB HDD.

I'm using thermal paste that was included with the cooler. I unplugged everything except CPU and cooler when i started to have these issues. Strangely enough when i put all back together this issue didn't happen again until few weeks later. I did reseat all components except CPUand cooler today, but i'm still facing this issue. OC doesn't seem have any effect (currently at stock) and i have cleared CMOS.

cekim
Level 11
As someone else said, PSU is a prime suspect here.

Including that you should go every one of your connections. I've repeatedly run into a case where I setup a system in an area with a lot of room and light and then moved it to its final resting spot only to have sporadic failures.

In each of those cases, one of the modular PSU connections was either only partly in from the beginning or had come loose when I moved the system.

Go over your cables and connectors carefully, re-seating as needed.

Next, I'd run a memory test. memtetst, aid64, or linux+stressapptest if you can get that setup (I often use a thumb-drive "live OS" linux setup for this).

Of course when you are checking all your cables, check your cards and DIMMs as well. Sometimes cases are poorly shaped and put enormous stress on the PCIe slots. So, over time the card pulls out a little. Any card with the right ground or power pin lacking a good connection could ultimately send your system off into the weeds...

Lastly, I had a 5930k that started life in my R5E just, um, defecate the bed... It was never OC'd as It was not stable from day=1. I moved it around trying to eliminate everything (memory, psu, mb, etc...) and finally I gave up and RMA'd the CPU through Intel. They are pretty easy to work with.

That same R5E is still going strong, now with a 6950x in it, but its also hosted 5960x's and the replacement 5930k from Intel without issue.

cekim wrote:
As someone else said, PSU is a prime suspect here.

Including that you should go every one of your connections. I've repeatedly run into a case where I setup a system in an area with a lot of room and light and then moved it to its final resting spot only to have sporadic failures.

In each of those cases, one of the modular PSU connections was either only partly in from the beginning or had come loose when I moved the system.

Go over your cables and connectors carefully, re-seating as needed.

Next, I'd run a memory test. memtetst, aid64, or linux+stressapptest if you can get that setup (I often use a thumb-drive "live OS" linux setup for this).

Of course when you are checking all your cables, check your cards and DIMMs as well. Sometimes cases are poorly shaped and put enormous stress on the PCIe slots. So, over time the card pulls out a little. Any card with the right ground or power pin lacking a good connection could ultimately send your system off into the weeds...

Lastly, I had a 5930k that started life in my R5E just, um, defecate the bed... It was never OC'd as It was not stable from day=1. I moved it around trying to eliminate everything (memory, psu, mb, etc...) and finally I gave up and RMA'd the CPU through Intel. They are pretty easy to work with.

That same R5E is still going strong, now with a 6950x in it, but its also hosted 5960x's and the replacement 5930k from Intel without issue.

I did rebuild whole system, took everything out and put it back together and double checked all power cables and i still had power loss and restart. So i ran Memtest86 v4.3.7 and it passed with 0 errors..

I had the same problem with all the BIOS v3XXX, Just flash BIOS v2101 and all the problems go away.