cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY Drive Redundancy Options

cpnet
Level 7
I'm considering a G752VY laptop as more of a workstation/music production machine (I'm not really a gamer). Gaming laptops seem to be the only semi-affordable options compared to "workstations".

I'm not super-familiar with redundancy options for SSD's, and I'm not clear on how many drives I can fit into a G752VY. In my last laptop, I got a 32 GB cache drive and a pair of 750GB HD's set up in RAID 1. What are my HD/SSD redundancy options for the G752VY? If their are RAID options, is there a hardware controller, or does that need to be done just in software/the OS? What are the biggest HD's/SSD's I can put in it with redundancy?
1 REPLY 1

Gustave
Level 9
cpnet wrote:
I'm considering a G752VY laptop as more of a workstation/music production machine (I'm not really a gamer). Gaming laptops seem to be the only semi-affordable options compared to "workstations".

I'm not super-familiar with redundancy options for SSD's, and I'm not clear on how many drives I can fit into a G752VY. In my last laptop, I got a 32 GB cache drive and a pair of 750GB HD's set up in RAID 1. What are my HD/SSD redundancy options for the G752VY? If their are RAID options, is there a hardware controller, or does that need to be done just in software/the OS? What are the biggest HD's/SSD's I can put in it with redundancy?

The G752VY has a SATA III Controller to which the 7200 RPM spinner and the Blu-ray/DVD ODD are connected. Furthermore it has two slots for NVMe M.2 SSD's. As far as I can tell you can swap the ODD drive for a HDD(SSD) caddy and thus create a RAID1 setup with two Samsung 2TB 850 Pro SATA SSD's. Replace the spinner for one 2TB 850 Pro and put a second 2TB 850 Pro in the HDD/SSD caddy which replaces the ODD.

The two M.2 slots you can occupy with two M.2 Samsung 477GB 950 Pro NVMe SSD's (a 1TB variant is on its way). I have a similar M.2 setup and I have the two 950 Pro's in a RAID0 setup but you could create a RAID1 with them just as easy.

The 950 Pro's are blazing fast by themselves and in a RAID0 a bit faster. The new 1TB 950 Pro's will be even faster. So I'd say, redundancy-wise, you can build one heck of a (semi)portable workstation with the G752VY.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]