cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G750JS strange overheating issue.

Dawnut
Level 7
Hey guys,

I have a G750JS and I have been using it for almost 2 years already. I have a strange issue, which I couldn't find anything about, so I am asking here:

- The right side of the laptop (the section with the Nvidia GPU fan) overheats to the point where it becomes uncomfortably hot - an issue that was not present some months ago (also, now it's summer here, so temperatures are way higher). The bottom of the laptop on the same side is also extremely hot. Lifting it from the table a bit helps only so much. See pictures:

57837 57838

- In the background, Chrome runs with several open tabs - little overheating.
- Issue seems to occur when I launch Visual Studio and start coding, although I am pretty sure it is going to be present with other CPU demanding programs as well.
- Everything is set to run on the integrated HD4600 gpu.
- The Nvidia GPU fan never kicks in - most probably because the GTX 870m is not used by any programs, so the fan doesn't read any temps and stays off.
- When I specifically launch another program with the GTX 870m, the respective fan turns on and starts pumping out the heat. Gradually, the temperature of the right side of the laptop is normalized.
- Nothing is over/underclocked.
- Have HDD and SSD, don't remember which one is in which slot 😄
- Laptop has been thoroughly cleaned ~a year ago.
- Thermal paste hasn't been changed since purchase.

EDIT: Ok, now it's overheating ONLY with Chrome running.

Anyone has any idea what's going on? I think it could be either the thermal paste getting old or the fan not working at low levels (if we assume that it SHOULD work, even when the Nvidia GPU is not running).
Do you think this is expected behavior?

Any help is appreciated 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
Why don't you install something like Hwinfo64, run the sensors and see for sure what is happening. Hwinfor64 will show you fan speeds, Load, and temps on your GPU and CPU. You can also run a log file over time. That should make it clear to you whether is a defective fan or its time to repaste.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Well, I have run it already, however it is not detecting the Nvidia card nor the fan for it. I didn't notice any high temperatures on the other components. So... time to repaste?

This is the first I've heard of a G750 that Hwinfo64 could not read the Video card? Try some other program you need to know what your Load, Temps and Fan Speeds are, to determine anything.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro