cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal pads thickness for G750 GPU memory?

PatRaven
Level 7
Does someone know which thickness you need for the thermal pads of the GPU memory and its surrounding chips?
I will use thermal paste for the CPU as well as the GPU dies, but I think it should be thermal pads for the other components right?

Br.
A G750 user with ultra-high temperatures :eek: …
7 REPLIES 7

PatRaven
Level 7
No one? Or are you using K5 instead of pads? Any other alternatives?

Dreamonic
Level 12
The replacement is usually 1mm for VRAM and VRM (if you choose to go with thermal pads). You can (as an alternative) use thermal paste for everything as well (MX-4 seems to be the commoner for that) without issue.

Dreamonic wrote:
The replacement is usually 1mm for VRAM and VRM (if you choose to go with thermal pads). You can (as an alternative) use thermal paste for everything as well (MX-4 seems to be the commoner for that) without issue.

Thanks Dreamonic,
Have you used MX4 or pads? Or did you choose another method that worked ok?

Neovox
Level 7
Next week I'm going to repaste my CPU and GPU. I couldn't find an scheme for my GPU GTX870m (G750JS), so I can't decide whether I should use 0.5 or 1mm pad thickness. Apparently 1mm should be Ok right?

Dreamonic
Level 12
1mm will be just fine. The GPU heatsink assemblies ASUS designed have the appropriate rises to accommodate for a specific thickness.

When you remove the heatsink assembly off the GPU, just take notice on where the thermal paste has been applied so you can duplicate it again where needed.

Also make sure that when the heatsink assembly is tightened back down, that you visually look around it to make sure there aren't any obvious gaps near the VRM and VRAM, especially where your thermals pads have been applied.

You can also get away with just thermal paste on everything without any issues because of how the rises are formed into the base plate surrounding the copper for adequate contact when compression fit (tightened down).

XOIIO
Level 7
If there was thermal pads, you need to use thermal pads, thermal compound will not provide proper heat conduction for the ram/vrm. If you are not sure on the thickness it would be better to go on the thicker side, provided that the pads are all the same thickness. otherwise some parts may not contact the heatsink properly.

XOIIO wrote:
If there was thermal pads, you need to use thermal pads, thermal compound will not provide proper heat conduction for the ram/vrm. If you are not sure on the thickness it would be better to go on the thicker side, provided that the pads are all the same thickness. otherwise some parts may not contact the heatsink properly.

Ok Guys,

Thanks for your Help.

I ordered (1mm x 10mmx 10mm) 20 pcs of thermal pads. When I mount everything, I'll post some pics to keep this thread useful to someone.

=D