cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS X99-Deluxe RAM OC above 2400?

STR8_AN94BALLER
Level 7
Hello everyone, I recently put together a pc with a X99-Deluxe and have a decent overclock result from guides online. But I cannot seem to alter the memory clockspeed beyond 2400MHz.

Here is system

5820K 4.2 @1.182 - 4.2cache @1.175 - LLC7 Optimized Phase
1.195VCCIN, +200mv SVID offset
ASUS X99 Deluxe BIOS 3101 (latest in website)

RAM Crucial Ballistix Sport @2400 11-11-11-24 1T @1.38v

EVGA 750 G2 PSU
GTX 1080 FE
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB

I cannot seem to OC the memory higher than 2400, board will not boot to BIOS or pass POST. This is with all board setting reset (NO CPU OC) and the voltage set to 1.38 on RAM.

With the CPU OC lodaed it is the same case, the memory refuse to be set above 2400MHz.

Have anyone a suggestion to improve the overclocking on my memory?

Also, I have the ASUS FAN EXTENSION card. I plug in my Gentle Typhoon Fan (DC, 1850RPM AP53) with a 3-pin splitter. The fan is not listed in the BIOS EZ mode, I have to go Advanced -> Monitor to see the extension fan fanspeed.
The fan controller also have an issue where the duty cycle would not drop below 60% even with fan calibration (the bios does not say that the fan extension is calibrated)

Does anyone have a suggestion to fix the fan extension problem?

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

cekim
Level 11
If the stock speed of the memory is 2400-CAS11 @1.38v, my guess is you are going to need to relax those timings to go to 2666 or 2800.

Even getting marked speeds our of ram above 2800 on this chip requires some effort in many cases.

Then there is the 1T vs 2T issue in the latest bios. While it seems to run quicker than prior on 2T, it hates 1T at higher speeds at least.

You are asking a lot of a kit that already requires 1.38v to run at 2400 to go higher, but it will help to relax the timings try 2666 12-12-12-28-2T. Also note that the voltage on the first extreme tuning page is the one that needs to be higher in some cases to get through boot/training.

Lastly, memory overclocking is very sensitive, sometimes you need to use the memOK and/or completely drain all charge from the system to move from one to the next memory tune or you get false positive/negative results.

cekim wrote:
If the stock speed of the memory is 2400-CAS11 @1.38v, my guess is you are going to need to relax those timings to go to 2666 or 2800.

Even getting marked speeds our of ram above 2800 on this chip requires some effort in many cases.

Then there is the 1T vs 2T issue in the latest bios. While it seems to run quicker than prior on 2T, it hates 1T at higher speeds at least.

You are asking a lot of a kit that already requires 1.38v to run at 2400 to go higher, but it will help to relax the timings try 2666 12-12-12-28-2T. Also note that the voltage on the first extreme tuning page is the one that needs to be higher in some cases to get through boot/training.

Lastly, memory overclocking is very sensitive, sometimes you need to use the memOK and/or completely drain all charge from the system to move from one to the next memory tune or you get false positive/negative results.

My memory stock is 2400 15-15-15-38 or somewhere along those line with 1.25v XMP

I try power drain and without OC (all bios setting reset except memory voltage) - setting to 2666 cannot boot to BIOS.

Maybe this memory kit isn't that great?

STR8_AN94BALLER wrote:
My memory stock is 2400 15-15-15-38 or somewhere along those line with 1.25v XMP

I try power drain and without OC (all bios setting reset except memory voltage) - setting to 2666 cannot boot to BIOS.

Maybe this memory kit isn't that great?

That would be the polite way to put it. You've already done pretty well getting it to CAS 11 1T. Personally, I've not seen an X99 that can't do 2800, so I think your limitation is the memory here.

cekim wrote:
That would be the polite way to put it. You've already done pretty well getting it to CAS 11 1T. Personally, I've not seen an X99 that can't do 2800, so I think your limitation is the memory here.

What memory kit would you recommend that work great with low latency + high clockspeed?

Also must be low profile.

STR8_AN94BALLER wrote:
What memory kit would you recommend that work great with low latency + high clockspeed?

Also must be low profile.

I don't have any experience with the low-profile part, so I am afraid I can't offer any suggestions there. How "low profile"? Are the G-Skill or Corsair spreaders too tall?

I have multiple G-skill 3000CAS14 kits that run either at 2800CAS12-1T at stock voltage or as high as 3200CAS14-2T @ 1.37 (vs stock 1.35). I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of their stuff. Corsair have been good in the past, but they tend to be higher priced with higher advertised CAS as compared with G-Skill, but often seem to OC pretty well.

thomas_yiu
Level 9
I would set DRAM voltage to 1.39 or 1.4 and slow down timing to 16-16-16-39 or slower when bumping frequency to 2666. Heard you have to play a lot with the timing and voltage when OC memory.
also, have fan to cool down the memory when OC.
Sincerely,
TY

thomas_yiu wrote:
I would set DRAM voltage to 1.39 or 1.4 and slow down timing to 16-16-16-39 or slower when bumping frequency to 2666. Heard you have to play a lot with the timing and voltage when OC memory.

I tried bump voltage and loosen timing first before raising speed, it cause no POST/BIOS and "Overclocking Failed" message.

I will try again.

thomas_yiu wrote:

nope, still not boot 😞