cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme - Bios does not see M.2 Samsung 950 Pro

Swampdonkey
Level 7
I've recently upgraded from a R4BE to the Rampage V Extreme, mainly to reap the benefit of faster memory and of course M.2 boot.

The goal - Boot into Win Pro 10 on 2x Samsung 950 Pro in Raid 0 - worse case - boot into M.2 and wait until developments catch up to allow me to put them in to RAID0.

Current situation

1. Updated BIOS to 3202
2. Install 1x 950 Pro into M.2. Slot on mobo
3. Installed 2nd 950 Pro onto Hyper M.2 x4 expansion card - in slot PCIE 8x

No other storage connected at this time.

When to Boot to see if the drive was listed - nothing

Open BIOS - went to Advanced - Onboard Devices Configuration - the manual details PCIEx8_4 & M.2 Configuration to allow me to select M.2, I cannot find this anywhere?

I've seen a benchmarks on this setup but nothing in the way of a guide or tutorial.

Can anyone help, I've been at this for hours and getting nowhere fast.

😞
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15
That option isn't available when using a 5820K. Continue with your Windows installation. See if the drive is on the list.

Chino wrote:
That option isn't available when using a 5820K. Continue with your Windows installation. See if the drive is on the list.

Thanks for your help Chino. I had no idea that a processor would have a bearing on my storage choices.

I went ahead and tried to install the OS, unexpectedly Windows could see the drive but couldn't partition it as its not recognised by the BIOS!! So I have 2 x 950's that I can't use unless I throw more money at replacing the 5820!! The R5E should have a warning or notice to the effect that m.2 will not work unless you buy ......... Processors. Or am I missing something?

Cheers

Swampdonkey wrote:

I went ahead and tried to install the OS, unexpectedly Windows could see the drive but couldn't partition it as its not recognised by the BIOS!!

Are you installing in UEFI mode? Also try deleting the partition and remaking it.

Chino wrote:
Are you installing in UEFI mode? Also try deleting the partition and remaking it.

I am. I was thinking of booting to one of my old EVO SSD's and use the Samsung migration tool to transfer the OS to the 950, do you think that would work?

Menthol
Level 14
The X99 platform does not support nvme drives in a bootable raid configuration
The 5820 has 28 pcie lanes, looking at your system with 2 GPU's and a dedicated sound card, you don't have the pcie lanes available
Read the manual for the motherboard, it will tell you the pcie lane assignments for the pcie slots, M.2 slot for both the 28 and 40 lane CPU's

Menthol wrote:
The X99 platform does not support nvme drives in a bootable raid configuration
The 5820 has 28 pcie lanes, looking at your system with 2 GPU's and a dedicated sound card, you don't have the pcie lanes available
Read the manual for the motherboard, it will tell you the pcie lane assignments for the pcie slots, M.2 slot for both the 28 and 40 lane CPU's

Thanks for the note Menthol, I removed the Xonar card to make space. Lessons learnt, next time I'll be asking you guy's for advice before spending a small fortune. I'll be content if I can get the M.2 working in boot, freeing up some space. I'll be selling the other 950 and 5820 and have purchased a 5960X - taking advantage of the 40 lanes and extra performance; (I do a lot of work with Photoshop). In my old system I was getting around 800mbps with two Samsung Evo's in RAID0 and just loved the quick boot times I was getting so M.2 was a logical next step.

The issue I have now is my keyboard has an issue with USB 3, and 2 of the USB ports on the mobo are connect to my Front base and the other to the H100i. Guess a new keyboard isn't too much of an additional cost.

Cheers

Menthol
Level 14
As long as the OS on the EVO is a UEFI install it should work, you would need to boot to the EVO with only the 2 drives installed, install the Samsung nvme driver and migration app to the EVO so it can see the 950