cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EK Blood Red Now Jimmy Purple?

cekim
Level 11
Or is it prince?

No sediment and these systems were last filled at roughly the same time. They were blood-red but after putting some heat into them, now they they are what you see here. I only really care if it is indicative of a problem with the metals in the system. I've read others having issues with things turning green or tygon tubing doing strange things, but red to purple seems odd.
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hi cekim

When was the last time you changed your coolant? Normally it's recommended to change it once a year. I use koolance coolant and it says to change it if you notice any discoloration.

Is your pc working ok, I see it's showing code 00.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi cekim

When was the last time you changed your coolant? Normally it's recommended to change it once a year. I use koolance coolant and it says to change it if you notice any discoloration.

Is your pc working ok, I see it's showing code 00.

Chuckle, working fine, that is a "feature" of linux as far as I can tell. Every Asus system I have does that (code 00 on clean boot into linux kernel). If I boot into windows (I try to avoid that whenever possible), it doesn't do that. Both systems are working great and temps are great.

Fluid is ~2 months old (EK concentrate + distilled water). Tubing is Primo-chill stuff from EK's site.

I haven't gone hard line because, so far, I've been changing things around too often.

jrmcdou
Level 10
I only use Mayhems Concentrate. It's expensive but it also doesn't have these problems. You also may want to switch to hard tubing. You won't have to worry about plasticizer.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

cekim
Level 11
FWIW, I believe the 00 code is linux seeing the Xeon chip features, poking at ECC and finding it disabled. That's when it happens. It prints a statement about it saying that there is no handler and ECC has been disabled. Not an error about memory corruption, but see prior, a statement that represents the reality of the X99 chipset - ECC has been gimped, but it does so in a way that makes the BIOS think something has gone wrong.

As previously, I see this on all my systems running CentOS6,6.5 and now 7, even at stock clocks. It has never caused any problems.

cekim
Level 11
Been a while - finally got almost all the staining out and finished phase I of the new build (more to come on tubing and wiring, but its a never ending project).

EK, you need to stop selling that blood-red stuff...

Even if the color did not change, the effort required to remove the stain is ludicrous with this RVE and similar full-system blocks. I was a noob to modern water cooling and I assumed EK (who generally sells good stuff) would not push fluid that would, for all intents and purposes, damage their own product. Guess I was wrong. Distilled water and "clear" fluids for me from now on - lesson re-learned.

The yuck. The restored to former glory. The ~finished project - until hard-line and some wiring and Skylake X and 2080s and so on and so forth... 😉

Zarathustraa
Level 7
From what I've read it has something to do with temps. I believe that happened to Jay from Jay's two cents, with Mayhems' coolant. (EK coolant last I heard is rebranded Mayhems) It's probably the heat of your graphics cards causing the color change. Just use a different color till mayhems figures out what needs a change in their formula.

Zarathustraa wrote:
From what I've read it has something to do with temps. I believe that happened to Jay from Jay's two cents, with Mayhems' coolant. (EK coolant last I heard is rebranded Mayhems) It's probably the heat of your graphics cards causing the color change. Just use a different color till mayhems figures out what needs a change in their formula.

Wouldn't surprise me... though, as I mentioned, even if it stayed red its clearly leaving a nasty film on things that bleeds out of the main channels and on to surfaces with no flow. So, even after repeated flushing, the system had a purple tinge to it.

I've seen Jayz saga as well and frankly assumed that was more a pastel issue, but your theory and my experience seem to bear out here.

I could replace the tubes and wipe-down the reservoir, but the only way to get it off the block was a complete tear down. The smooth surfaces of the channels cleaned relatively easy, but the lesser machined surfaces proved to require buffing compound (effectively high-grit sand-paper) to clean up without removing the plating. Not what I'd call a "user serviceable" operation.

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I don't have any staining on my tubes. But, when I take my pastel out I need to do multiple flushes of the loop, and even running their cleaning solution doesn't get everything out. If I wanted to get all of the residue out, I need to take every fitting off and clean off this white dust from the fluid.