Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAnonymous View Post
    This thread is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for all of the explanations about your cooling mods for this. I recently got my hands on a G20CB (w/ stock GTX 1080) and the PC is awesome, but the 1080 gets throttled by hitting its max temp around 83-85c on full load. I'm trying to decide whether a couple side fans would help cool the card and case or if I should just go for a GPU water-cooled mod. I think opening the side and using an external fan could help emulate side fans and I can at least get an idea of how temps will change with an air-only system.

Anyway, I know this thread has been sleeping for about 6 months or so but I'm about to jump in and try my luck at making this system run at its full protential with proper cooling.

I'll be sure to report back with what I'm able to do. Especially if I successfully get some watercooling on the 1080 in there.
    Would like to see your progress. Good luck with the project. I'm in the verge of deciding to sell mg G20AJ and built my own rig

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Gengaku View Post
    Would like to see your progress. Good luck with the project. I'm in the verge of deciding to sell mg G20AJ and built my own rig
    Nice to know that ppl havent forgotten this thread, im awaiting delivery of a corsair h45 to first try to find a way to cool down the cpu, then ill get an evga gtx hybrid for my gtx 1080ti. Now, as you can imagine, this leaves us with finding a way to sort and add the radiators/fan for liquid cooling. No way they will fit inside the case....

At times i accept that moving on and get a new case would be easier, however i love the look of the g20....was thinking about finding a way to tear it down and use both side panels (with lighting) to then add to a new case, think about this like extending the width of the case.....wouldnt it be cool.....or ugly?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by litania72 View Post
    Nice to know that ppl havent forgotten this thread, im awaiting delivery of a corsair h45 to first try to find a way to cool down the cpu, then ill get an evga gtx hybrid for my gtx 1080ti. Now, as you can imagine, this leaves us with finding a way to sort and add the radiators/fan for liquid cooling. No way they will fit inside the case....

At times i accept that moving on and get a new case would be easier, however i love the look of the g20....was thinking about finding a way to tear it down and use both side panels (with lighting) to then add to a new case, think about this like extending the width of the case.....wouldnt it be cool.....or ugly?
    It really depends on the modding I think the only way to include radiator/fan for liquid is to modify the side panel on both side and use a docking setup at the bottom for better airflow.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos g20build2016.JPG  

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Gengaku View Post
    It really depends on the modding I think the only way to include radiator/fan for liquid is to modify the side panel on both side and use a docking setup at the bottom for better airflow.

That's a good idea....I have finally got a corsair hydro h45....due to this thread dying out and the fact that at the end it focuses onto another topic and pc, I have decided to create one of my own, hoping many can contribute to it with ideas and projects, I still do not feel like moving on from my G20, sorry, but there seem that many are and I can understand it , but I just do not give up, I like the case and just need to find a way to install 'inside' a watercooled and psu as due to the crap ventilation and cooling, most components are not at full capacity, and yes I do not accept this.....

see you there...

Seeing that this thread is kicking around again, wanted to say that my modded g20cb still gets used daily and has zero issues. Gpu water cooling would be nice but my overclocked 970 can put out between 60-100 fps on high settings and 1440p at a max of 74deg C, it's fine.. Meanwhile I have a new case, an enthoo evolv tempered glass ready for a ryzen build or threadripper, maybe a vega or two. But no regrets here on the g20, still looks awesome and performs great for what it does right now, CPU never gets above 45deg C. And after the ryzen system is built, it will be a spare for my gf to game on with me.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos IMG_4296.jpg  

IMG_4263.jpg  

ROG Member Array cavalier666 PC Specs
    cavalier666 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G20CB
    MotherboardH170
    ProcessorIntel i7-6700k
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit - BLS2C16G4S26BFSD
    Graphics Card #1EVGA - GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition - Reference Card
    Graphics Card #2Intel® HD Graphics 530 (Disabled)
    Sound CardAsus 7:1
    MonitorPG279Q ROG Swift 27 Monitor with G-Sync
    Storage #12TB WD BLUE / 512GB SSD
    Storage #2250GB Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD Boot
    CPU CoolerAsus G20CB OEM
    CaseAsus G20CB OEM
    Power SupplyAsus 180w + 230w Power Bricks
    Keyboard Asus ROG Claymore MX Mechanical
    Mouse Asus ROG Gladius II
    Headset ROG Strix Fusion Wireless
    Mouse Pad Asus ROG Sheath 900x400
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterVirgin Media 350MB with Asus RT-AC86U Router

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-SKILL-Ri...oAAOSwaWNZfk7o

are these same sodimm modules as installed in your rog pc ? id like to upgreade from my 16gb to 32gb

thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by cavalier666 View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-SKILL-Ri...oAAOSwaWNZfk7o

are these same sodimm modules as installed in your rog pc ? id like to upgreade from my 16gb to 32gb

thanks !
    yes those look like they are the ones I have, no issues ever with them. You may be able to pay a lot less on newegg.

For anyone wondering, yes it’s still working fine with a 1440p monitor and 1080p second monitor. I would pursue a gpu cooling solution instead of what I did if you are bored like I was and just wanted to tinker. The SSD and 32gb ram were the best upgrades for this rig by far.

Hey guys, I'm back..... and bored again. Thinking of doing a gtx 1080 hybrid cooler upgrade for my G20CB. I'll have to extend the coolant lines and fan wires, no big deal. My concern is the power draw is I think around 217W, when our supply is 230W. Obviously this leaves no room for overclocking, but for 3440x1440p ultrawide I think it'll be ok.

Do you guys think that the 230W supply will be enough for a stock clocked gtx 1080 hybrid that draws 217W? Thx.

Other option is a external actual PC power supply (they are cheap nowadays) and I could hook it up that way and overclock the crap out of it.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Not sure. Itania tried to run a 1080ti on the 230w brick and killed it.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ith-GTX-1080ti
    What you're talking about should be lower draw but I'm not sure if anyone has done it.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast