Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

It would be beneficial to have some type of case cooling, still working on that, right now I just threw a USB powered 80mm on top for drawing out hot air of the case since there's no fan headers left open to plug into. I actually didn't think about how the stock fans pulled air from the back side into them from the board side and out the heat sink too.

Edit: bought some 120mm fans, see next post.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos IMG_3400.JPG  

Last edited by six4bravo; 07-17-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Got two of these fans on the way along with more silverstone grilles for each, going to mount the one on the case side for cooling the ram and inside the case, and the second one for feeding the inlet of the video card. Going to have to splice them into the radiator fan header, but they should work great and still be quiet. Pics later this week.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos fans.jpg  

For the ram/board location cooling fan, should it be blowing cool outside air into the case or drawing the hot air out of the case? The GPU feeder fan will obviously be blowing into the gpu fan, but I wanted to get opinions on the ram/board fan. Thanks.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

This is essentially taking the place of the old CPU fan, right? The original fan was likely forcing air onto the CPU and the exhaust from that was passing over the other components before exiting. Since you've changed the cooling for the CPU you might find that the rest of the stuff works different as well. You might try both orientations to see if it makes a difference.

There's also the notion that positive pressure in a case helps minimize dust buildup. Not sure if either orientation will help you to that end.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

I did some case modding today, these cougar fans do move a ton of air and are very very quiet. Just a sneak peak, I'll reassemble over the weekend and see if everything is nice and cool. I also took a PWM splitter and spliced that inline to the chassis fan header for the two fans and future expansion, I can run up to about 6-8 of these fans off one header in case anyone is wondering.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos IMG_3415.jpg  

Ok, got it all assembled again, the top fan blowing right on the RAM and surrounding area seems great, the air also exits directly where it used to in the top of the unit. The fan directly feeding the GPU seems to have made a difference in the furmark GPU stress test, redcuing temps by about 8C on full load. Overall, it'll work for now, and I'm much more comfortable with the RAM/case cooling now. The CPU is still frosty with the water cooler, I've been running CPU burn in for the last 30 min and peak temp is 52C. I'm happy until I can get my hands on an MSI GTX1070 seahawk
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos IMG_3419.JPG  

Last edited by six4bravo; 07-23-2016 at 12:04 AM.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Cool! I think those fans would look good with some sort of tapered cover to cover the sides of the fan and make it look like part of the case but I don't know if I've ever seen such a thing. I guess these days it could be 3d printed.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    Cool! I think those fans would look good with some sort of tapered cover to cover the sides of the fan and make it look like part of the case but I don't know if I've ever seen such a thing. I guess these days it could be 3d printed.
    I'd love to 3d print something like that in the future and clean it up a bit including the top, it'll be on the to-do list. For now I think this will satisfy gaming and need to something unique for a few years when i get the itch to build it myself again. Over the weekend I did a lot of gaming on it, all internal temps that i could monitor stayed cool besides the GPU. When doing basic stuff like browsing or video watching, its silent just like stock just much much cooler. Those cougar fans really made a huge difference and flow a TON on the lowest rpm is where they usually stay. I can't wait to get water cooled GPU and figure out how to install it in this rig.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chilinmichael's Avatar

Very interesting! I saw all the stuff you were adding and was wondering how it was all going to fit LOL. I personally would never want to expand upon the currently small form factor, but I really like & respect how you pulled it off!
    Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

Update:

Still working fantastic, idling at 19C, gaming load 48C. RAM slots max temp around 58C with the chipset fan added.

With the gpu feeder fan, gpu idle is 29C, max 72C with an overclock of +150 core and +400 memory

Thinking about holding off on the gtx 10 series since I'm getting around 120fps in bf4 right now. But definitely going water cooled gpu.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast