cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EATX_12V power connectors

Jbonnett
Level 8
Hi All,
Sorry if this has been asked already, do you need to connect both 8 and 4 pin EATX_12V connectors?

Thank you for the replies in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

Onimax
Level 8
Never tried it but it _should_ work with only the 8 pin one - at least at stock settings.
Once you are overclocking (which is the very reason this board exists) you need all connectors to provide stable current to the CPU.

If your PSU does not have the required connectors I suggest you get a new PSU instead of unintentionally frying your board, PSU or CPU altogether. 😉

Onimax wrote:
Never tried it but it _should_ work with only the 8 pin one - at least at stock settings.
Once you are overclocking (which is the very reason this board exists) you need all connectors to provide stable current to the CPU.

If your PSU does not have the required connectors I suggest you get a new PSU instead of unintentionally frying your board, PSU or CPU altogether. 😉

Yeah I've overclocked on just the 8 pin, I was just wondering why the 4 pin exists too and whether it would fry the board if I connected the two.
I've also got the Corsair HX1000i so should be fine.

Jbonnett wrote:
Yeah I've overclocked on just the 8 pin, I was just wondering why the 4 pin exists too and whether it would fry the board if I connected the two.
I've also got the Corsair HX1000i so should be fine.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Jbonnett

You can connect both the 8 pin and 4 pin cpu power cables, it won't hurt anything.

The 4 pin is for extreme overclocking.

Yep, in fact it's more likely to fubar without connecting everything 😄

Nate152
Hi Jbonnett

You can connect both the 8 pin and 4 pin cpu power cables, it won't hurt anything.

The 4 pin is for extreme overclocking.

jrmcdou
Level 10
I always connect both power connectors to ensure stability regardless of clocks. Better to be safe than sorry.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

Jbonnett
Level 8
What do you class as extreme overclocking? Anything more than 4.4GHz as it is more than the presets?

Jbonnett wrote:
What do you class as extreme overclocking? Anything more than 4.4GHz as it is more than the presets?

If using a 5960X or a 6950X at speeds over 4.3Ghz, I'd use both connectors.

Nate152
I would say extreme overclocking falls into liquid nitrogen cooling/overclocking.

As Omnimax and jrmcdou says it's best to populate the 4 pin cpu power cable too to ensure stability.