cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the OC Panel necessary?

Nightflight
Level 7
Hye guys,

i would like to use the USB header at the ROG_EXT connection. So I thought to disconnect the OC Panel cable from the motherboard. The problem is, that when I disconnect the cable, my computer won't start anymore. When I switch the cable back, everything works fine again.

So my question is, is the OC Panel necessary for running my pc? Am I forgetting something or did I make a mistake? I couldn't any helping information in the manual.

Thx for your help.

Regards,

Nightflight
8 REPLIES 8

cekim
Level 11
Nightflight wrote:
Hye guys,

i would like to use the USB header at the ROG_EXT connection. So I thought to disconnect the OC Panel cable from the motherboard. The problem is, that when I disconnect the cable, my computer won't start anymore. When I switch the cable back, everything works fine again.

So my question is, is the OC Panel necessary for running my pc? Am I forgetting something or did I make a mistake? I couldn't any helping information in the manual.

Thx for your help.

Regards,

Nightflight

It certainly isn't required, but you should confirm that the BIOS settings are sane. I haven't had it connected for a year now. I do all my tuning in the BIOS.

xarot
Level 11
I have three of them and those are pretty much useless.
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
No, it isn't required. If you need the extra USB header, feel free to disconnect the OC Panel.

Thx. I am more confused than before. I do not overclock and I am not going to. But as soon as I disconnect the OC Panel cable from the board, my PC won't start anymore.

I hear a clicking sound in my psu and then the pc turns immediately off. I also tried another psu. Same result. What could cause that? As mentioned before, as soon as I put the cable back into the board, everything is ok again.

Onimax
Level 8
Seems like you have another problem altogether.
The OC Panel is definitely not required (haven't had it attached for ages as my drive bays are home to a 360 rad ;)).

Could you please list your complete configuration? (Including attached peripherals)

Also clicking sounds, as in the PSU's fan(s) or something different? Could be that your PSU (without knowing any details, so take this guess with a huge grain of salt!) is at fault then - did you try another?

Onimax wrote:
Seems like you have another problem altogether.
The OC Panel is definitely not required (haven't had it attached for ages as my drive bays are home to a 360 rad ;)).

Could you please list your complete configuration? (Including attached peripherals)

Also clicking sounds, as in the PSU's fan(s) or something different? Could be that your PSU (without knowing any details, so take this guess with a huge grain of salt!) is at fault then - did you try another?

Ok, here you go.

My specs are:

Corsair Obsidian 900D
Intel Core i7-5960X
ASUS Rampage V Extreme/U3.1, X99, So. 2011-3
EVGA Titan X
64GB Kit (4x 8GB) G.Skill RipJaws 4, DDR4-2800, CL16,
LG BH16NS40 BluRay
1200W Corsair AX1200i Professional Series Platinum
CPU FAN: Noctua NH-D15
Cardreader / Frontpanel 5,25", Akasa
NZXT interal USB Hub IU01
Corsair Air Series LED Blue AF120 Quiet Edition, 120mm
Corsair Air Series LED Blue AF140 Quiet Edition, 140mm
NZXT SENTRY 2 - 5 Channel fan control
Keyboard and mouse by Microsoft.
No other peripherals.

The clicking sound comes from the psu. When I turn on my computer without the OC Panel cable connected, the green light on the psu turns into red and that is when I hear the clicking sound. I think it is a security feature by Corsair.
As mentioned before I changed the psu and got the same result.

Got a big question mark on my head 🙂

Chino
Level 15
Trying clearing your CMOS.

Also if you had the SATA power cable connected to the OC Pnale, make sure you remove that cable as well.

Chino wrote:
Trying clearing your CMOS.

Also if you had the SATA power cable connected to the OC Pnale, make sure you remove that cable as well.

Thx Chino. That did it. May I ask you, was your tip a shot in the dark or is there a rational explanation for this solution.