Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VT-DH72 - replacing the built-in 119GB NVMe by a 256GB SSD 840EVO

horacioj
Level 7
Hello,

My ASUS ROG G752VT-DH72 has the built-in 119GB NVMe SAMSUNG MZVLV128

I would like to make the primary drive a Samsung SSD 840EVO 256GB I already have. I.e. use it as the windows (system) drive.
Here is the catch: I don't want to touch or replace the the 1TB drive. I just want to improve the SSD drive.

1) I guess I cannot replace the 119GB NVMe with the 256GB 840EVO drive, right? Because they have different physical architecture.

2) Where / how can I install the 256GB 840EVO drive? Is there a bay for that? Notice I want to keep the 1TB drive as it is.
In my previous machine (HP DV7) I've installed a 'caddie' kit in its empty 2nd HD bay.
Can I do the same here, or there isn't such bay? I still haven't opened the notebook yet.

3) Can I still keep and use (for whatever) the NVMe drive (as a 3rd hard disk)?

Any hint or advice is welcome 🙂

Thanks!!
9 REPLIES 9

Gustave
Level 9
You could read here. This reading concerns the G752VY but it could maybe work for the VT as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JustinThyme
Level 13
You can but I dont get why you would want to take the performance hit. The M2 drive is at least 4x faster than a SATA III SSD.

I I was to do what you are speaking of (not that I would purely because of the performance hit) I would get the drive caddy, move your 1TB spinner to that and then put the SSD in its place and clone the M2 to that drive.

If you are going to keep the M2 drive no matter I would leave it as is and save yourself a bunch of time and simply still relocate the spinner to a caddy and put the SSD in its place and leave the OS alone.

Better option. Clone the M2 you have to a larger M2 and put the spinner in a caddy and the SATA 111 in its place.

Best option, forget the spinner, its slow and outdated and cheap. Pull it out and put it in the closet or sell it off or trade for a case of beer. Get two larger M2 drives and a larger SATA III SSD.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
You can but I dont get why you would want to take the performance hit. The M2 drive is at least 4x faster than a SATA III SSD.

I I was to do what you are speaking of (not that I would purely because of the performance hit) I would get the drive caddy, move your 1TB spinner to that and then put the SSD in its place and clone the M2 to that drive.

If you are going to keep the M2 drive no matter I would leave it as is and save yourself a bunch of time and simply still relocate the spinner to a caddy and put the SSD in its place and leave the OS alone.

Better option. Clone the M2 you have to a larger M2 and put the spinner in a caddy and the SATA 111 in its place.

Best option, forget the spinner, its slow and outdated and cheap. Pull it out and put it in the closet or sell it off or trade for a case of beer. Get two larger M2 drives and a larger SATA III SSD.

Right you are!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi,

Many thanks for all your replies.

JustinThyme wrote:

Oops...I didn't knew that! I thought the 840EVO would be faster than the entry-level M2 shipped with the notebook.
Primarily, I wanted to make the system faster, so, being this the case, it doesn't make much sense.

JustinThyme wrote:
I would get the drive caddy, move your 1TB spinner to that and then put the SSD in its place and clone the M2 to that drive.

No need to clone, really.I was planning to do a clean Win 10 setup, because I continue to find problems in the current machine as it is, because it was NOT Win 10 naively , despite been bought as such.
It was win8 (or I don't know what), upgraded (in a very bad way) to win10 , and sold as new . What a shame, ASUS. :mad:
Given that I already have the SATA III, if I go for the drive caddy option, does I mean I'll have to get rid of the optical drive?

Thanks!

JustinThyme
Level 13
All G752 machines ship from the factory with Win 10 installed. If it had something else on it then you did not get a new machine, you got jacked by whoever sold it to you and I would be back up in their faces. G751s were the last ones to have Win 8 installed from the factory.

If you think you have problems now wait until you do a "clean Install". This forum is loaded with posts of driver issues and missing software afterwards. There is very minimal bloatware on these machines, takes like 5 mins to uninstall the few things that are there.

If you are leaving the M2 you wont need to clone anyhow.

If you go with a drive caddy you do lose the optical drive. I know upgrading can get expensive but its actually cheaper to upgrade than to buy them new with larger drives. The 1TB spinners are dirt cheap these days simply because everything is going over to SSD. There is plenty of storage opportunity with 2x M2 and the SATA III.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
All G752 machines ship from the factory with Win 10 installed.

Yes, Win 10 but under the hoods I've found the 'old' windows directory. A system clean up deleted it, but it was there.
Therefore it wasn't really a native win10 install.
I've found this trying to solve user's profile issues which in the forums said were caused by upgraded windows installation.
"This cannot be my case" I thought. But, it was.

JustinThyme wrote:
f it had something else on it then you did not get a new machine, you got jacked by whoever sold it to you .

"offical" product listing at Amanzon

JustinThyme wrote:
If you go with a drive caddy you do lose the optical drive. .

Ok. Then, I'll keep it as it is... and try to sell the SSD in ebay.. Keeping it in a USB enclosure would be a waste for its potential.
At some point in the future, I'll upgrade the M2 and/or get a 2nd unit.

I'll end doing a TRUE clean Windows 10 install, anyway. I (want to) believe this is a legit machine, shipped with windows 10 from the factory, as you said.
But at the factory, they make it Win !0 by upgrading its Win8. This leaves trash behind, and some possible issues, as I found.
Otherwise I would never found out it was a (factory) non-clean Win 10 install.

Many thanks for all the advice.

To clarify for everyone here:

The G752 series M.2 Slots are NVMe/PCIe ONLY. SATA M.2 SSDs will not function in those slots whatsoever, even if you did want to take the performance hit.

gtan777x
Level 7
Hi guys,

Just a quick question semi related. Got a G752VT-DH72. I've already swapped out the optical drive with an HDD caddy and put in a 2.5" Kingston SSD and kept the 1TB spinner on the HD bay. My question is will it be better to put the 2.5" SSD on the HD bay and the 1TB spinner in the caddy? Are both of them SATA 3 or is the optical drive/caddy connector a slower one?

gtan777x wrote:
Hi guys,

Just a quick question semi related. Got a G752VT-DH72. I've already swapped out the optical drive with an HDD caddy and put in a 2.5" Kingston SSD and kept the 1TB spinner on the HD bay. My question is will it be better to put the 2.5" SSD on the HD bay and the 1TB spinner in the caddy? Are both of them SATA 3 or is the optical drive/caddy connector a slower one?

On the VY it is one SATA-III controller with 2 ports (6Gbps on each) I guess that goes for the VT as well. If you can afford it, get rid of the spinner. You're selling yourself short. There is a lot posted on this forum already about spinners, SSD's (SATA/NVMe), RAID, speed in the G752's and so on and so forth.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]