cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5E QCode 76 with CPU Error LED No Post

zaraki1311
Level 7
Hello,

I seem to be in a situation where I cannot tell if I have blown a CPU or a MoBo. I have had some issue leading up to the state that I am in now. Every so often I would run into an issue where I would get through my RAID initialization screens and make it to the POST screen and all I would see is the American Megatrends logo and that is as far as it would go after about 10 min I would reboot and everything would work fine. This hadn't happened for awhile since I did the latest BIOS update.

Now on Sunday I was playing some Battlefield 4 when suddenly my graphics driver failed as I was about to close BF4 with task manager my computer rebooted. As it was booting I ran into the post issue. I got back into the OS I tried BF4 and they system crashed again and same POST issue. Needless to say I originally though this was a software issue did a bunch of troubleshooting with no luck so I made a backup of my RAID over night and shut the computer down so I could look at it when I got home.

So as of yesterday when I went to start the computer I got a Qcode error of 76 with a red CPU error LED. I did a little reading and did the following. I checked all my power cables to the MoBo, I changed the PSU out, I cleared the CMOS, I tried switching the the alternate BIOS, I tried the safe boot button, I pulled all the ram, I put one stick back in all with no luck same error. The one thing that I did notice was that my ROG panel before I cleared the CMOS had all my custom settings, when I went to the second BIOS It still had all the same setting even though my second BIOS was still set to stock and after clearing the CMOS it never picked up any settings.

As for the Specs:
Intel i7 - 5960x OverClocked to 4.2ghz not sure the voltage anymor
R5E MoBo
Intel SSD 750 PCIe 1.2tb
4x 2tb Seagate SSHD in RAID 0
1 kit of CMD32GX4M4A2666C15
EVGA 980ti Hydrocopper
Corsair AX1200i PSU

BIOS version 3101

The MoBo, GPU and CPU are all water cooled.
10 REPLIES 10

Chino
Level 15

I've been getting the same 76 and havent figured out how to fix it. although mine is quite random, most of the time it will boot up fine then suddenly get the 76 error.

i found turning the psu off for a bit and then booting up works for me. i do get the 'overclock failed press f1' message but a save and reset gets me going again

bios 3202
doesnt seem to matter if i'm overclocked or running stock settings

dharris78 I think you are in the same boat I was in. My recommendation would be to try reflashing the the BIOS to the board. If you look at the manual there is a method where you name the bios file as somethign like r5e and hold the cmos clear button. when I did this it allowed me back in the system. Having another board around to test helps a lot. In the end my issue was that my MoBo has something wrong with it. I put new ram in it and the ram was failing. I put the ram and cpu into another board and they are fine. I also had my GPU go. I put it in another computer and I can't even install drivers before it crashes.

I've also had the "intermittent 76 QL code"

Usually killing the PSU for a few seconds and a reboot cures it. It seems to have got less frequent with 2101, but is not totally eliminated.

I'm also fully water-cooled, with a EK mono block on the board.

State of clock doesn't appear to make any difference.

I've sworn by Asus stuff for every build I've done, but I've had 3 R5E's now, all seem to have gremlins.
Gotterdammerung: Rampage V Extreme | Intel I7-5930K | 32GB Corsair Dominator 2666 | EVGA GTX 980 SC x3
Kingston HyperX Predator 480GB | Corsair Neutron XT 960GB | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair 900D | EK RVE Monoblock | EK 980 GTX Blocks

GOOSE: STRIX Z390I Gaming | Intel i9-9900KF | 32GB Vengeance RGB 3200 | STRIX Vega 64 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB x2
Corsair SF 750 | Phanteks Evolv Shift X | EK Z390I Monoblock | EK Strix Vega 64 GPU Block

Nightflight
Level 7
Hye zaraki1311,

I had the exact same problem for months. Nothing what was suggested in this thread before helped. For me it happened only after a BIOS update.

The solution for me was and still is to disconnect every usb cable from your system and also Corsair Link cable from the psu, if oyu are using this.
After I did that the computer posted normally again. I am now on BIOS 3301.

I hope this will help you.

ftjacques
Level 7
zaraki1311 wrote:
Intel SSD 750 PCIe 1.2tb
4x 2tb Seagate SSHD in RAID 0

Unrelated to your actual question, but I'm wondering... since you have a SSD for performance (why not M.2?), why setup a RAID0 with your 4x2TB? Wouldn't a RAID5 make more sense as a storage device to protect your data? A single failed drive and it's a total loss unless you back it up frequently, which is a tad of a pain with 8TB...

Also, I'd check out the HX4R (http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/526) for your storage. It's extremely cheap to purchase, supports RAID5, eSATA and would allow you to move the heat generation from your storage outside of your case. It's also waaaay more friendly to replace a failing HDD if it happens 🙂

Now back to your question, since it seemed to work for awhile and started to fail recently, is anything running hot? Possibly a heatsink that unscrewed, warmer room temp due to a hot summer, or anything like that?

ftjacques wrote:
Unrelated to your actual question, but I'm wondering... since you have a SSD for performance (why not M.2?), why setup a RAID0 with your 4x2TB? Wouldn't a RAID5 make more sense as a storage device to protect your data? A single failed drive and it's a total loss unless you back it up frequently, which is a tad of a pain with 8TB...

Also, I'd check out the HX4R (http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/526) for your storage. It's extremely cheap to purchase, supports RAID5, eSATA and would allow you to move the heat generation from your storage outside of your case. It's also waaaay more friendly to replace a failing HDD if it happens 🙂

Now back to your question, since it seemed to work for awhile and started to fail recently, is anything running hot? Possibly a heatsink that unscrewed, warmer room temp due to a hot summer, or anything like that?

The main reason for the RAID 0 is performance. Since it is only game data I am not that worried about keeping it safe. I have once a month backups of the RAID. I had thought about doing ssds for that but 7tb of ssd is pricey lol.

I had though about a heat sync issue but the issues where when it was cooler out and the raid controller acted up in a cold basement before. The board is on its way for RMA so I will post something when I hear what happened

Hello!
I revive the topic.
The author never said whether he was able to fix his problem.
I faced the same situation.
What did I do:
Pulled out of the case, left only the CPU GPU RAM RAM PSU = QCODE 76
CPU RAM = QCODE 76
CPU = QCODE 76
NO CPU = QCODE 00
Clear CMOS, pulled out the battery for an hour, FlashBack BIOS 2001, 7101 (i have U3.1)
Bought a used Xeon E5-2630L v3 ES QEYX to check. It’s the same with him.

How did the problem happen?
From the very beginning, my memory fnever work either on XMP or in manual 3000 mode. I read this forum and came across a description in which there were no memory problems with BIOS 8101. I installed this BIOS and really the memory started working stably on the XMP 3000. I passed SuperPi realbanch tests. Without raising the voltage, I decided to return stable overclocking to the processor 4000. BCK was automatically raised to 125. Everything worked stably.
The next day did not want to turn on. CODE 76 ((

Spec
RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1
G.Skill F4-300C15Q-16GRBB
ASUS STRIX GTX1080-A8G-GAMING
SSD Plextor M5Pro 256, 2x Seagate ST2000DM001
Seasonic SS-1250XM

Please give some advice. What can be done? RMA expired. I wrote to a local service center but I think there will be no result. I do not want to buy a motherboard for the test. Mine is so expensive even in the secondary market

Regards

lumpen1 wrote:
Hello!
I revive the topic.
The author never said whether he was able to fix his problem.
I faced the same situation.
What did I do:
Pulled out of the case, left only the CPU GPU RAM RAM PSU = QCODE 76
CPU RAM = QCODE 76
CPU = QCODE 76
NO CPU = QCODE 00
Clear CMOS, pulled out the battery for an hour, FlashBack BIOS 2001, 7101 (i have U3.1)
Bought a used Xeon E5-2630L v3 ES QEYX to check. It’s the same with him.

How did the problem happen?
From the very beginning, my memory fnever work either on XMP or in manual 3000 mode. I read this forum and came across a description in which there were no memory problems with BIOS 8101. I installed this BIOS and really the memory started working stably on the XMP 3000. I passed SuperPi realbanch tests. Without raising the voltage, I decided to return stable overclocking to the processor 4000. BCK was automatically raised to 125. Everything worked stably.
The next day did not want to turn on. CODE 76 ((

Spec
RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1
G.Skill F4-300C15Q-16GRBB
ASUS STRIX GTX1080-A8G-GAMING
SSD Plextor M5Pro 256, 2x Seagate ST2000DM001
Seasonic SS-1250XM

Please give some advice. What can be done? RMA expired. I wrote to a local service center but I think there will be no result. I do not want to buy a motherboard for the test. Mine is so expensive even in the secondary market

Regards

Hi, since today i got the same Problem.

Same Mainboard
Same Ram (except i got 32gb)
EVGA 980ti Hydro Copper

For me all started with an normal Bios update. I used the option in the Bios to load the new file. 4101 (as this is the newest i could find on the Asus Website i am note sure what 8101 lumpen is talking about ?!

I expected a lot of different Q-Codes .... 6b 95 96 b2 and many many more.
I was running 3201for 1 day and my system was intable (after 3 years running more than stable overclocked)
today i realized windows only detects 16gb ram. After reboot 24 gb ram, same showed up in bios.
So i decited to downgrade the Bios (this time via flashback usb method) several times
Ended up with Q-Code 76 regardless what i am trying or which bios i was flashing before

Lumpen did you find a solution for your problem ?
It seems like your system was also running good and stable before you touch a new bios ?

Best regards