cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1080 Strix crashing instantly in OC mode?

Wyndoor
Level 7
Anyone else happen to get such a lemon that it can't even run properly in asus's own OC mode? I'm quite pissed, a 700$ graphics card and the thing crashes soon as you put it in a bios mode the thing is factory shipped with really?

This is all comes back to the shady business that took place with the reviewer samples all being shipped with OC mode already enabled. This would be fine to do if all the cards they shipped actually worked in that mode but mine is proof that they don't and proof that the defense reviewers were providing saying all cards should work in OC mode so its not a big deal to be a load of crap. I put it in OC mode it boosts to maybe 2015mhz and crashes. I am not talking manual overclocking either. You obviously never know what your getting when it comes to that. This is a mode that they are shipping with all their cards and it is failing to run properly. Getting a replacement one from newegg isn't an option since its always sold out and hey if i get a refund their price went up 40$ since i bought it. I have never in my life had another GPU fail to run at the preset modes it came shipped with. The customer loyalty guy on the newegg reviews gave me a case number and an email address which i used and ive yet to hear back from him about this either. This is after i already called asus, was given a different case number and told a higher level tech would call me back and hey that never happened either after 3 days of waiting.
21 REPLIES 21

samboy87
Level 9
Hi Wyndoor

have you tried MSI Afterburn? try to upper the Powerlimit alittle and try Heaven benchmark to check if it is stable.

All comes down to the silicon lottery my friend. If you can't get it stable on normal boost with higher power limit, you got a lemon.
1080 is a really bad overclocker. but to be honest , overclock isn't really necessary when it comes down to the performance it already can deliver.
My Gigabyte 1080 FE on stock boost clocks to 1968 core with everything on stock. that is decent , but to be honest i could'n care less. in reality we are talking about max gain of 5-15fps with a good/high overclock, and that is on 1080p / 1440p. 4K on the otherhand you get minimal gains like 1-5fps.
If you're not happy with your 1080 strix , try to replace it, if not just be happy with it and enjoy. 1080 is a monstercard , and plays the most games maxed out on 2k with much over 60fps.

/Sam

Wyndoor
Level 7
I get what your saying yeah its silicon lottery but that only goes so far. The reality of it is their OC mode should be where the gaming mode is and not have it on a card that potentially can't even run it properly. I tried manual overclocking to see if something was wrong with the profile and it crashes at 2ghz no matter what i do. I wouldn't be pissed about this if they didn't take it upon themselves to include this mode that doesn't even work. They also obviously cherry picked good chips when they mailed it to the reviewers that actually support the OC mode properly. When i see reviewers overclocking to whatever i obviously never expect to get the same results as them since they are obviously sent high quality chips to fool people into buying the card.

What they are doing is way different than that though. This is a bios the card is shipped with and a bios that was enabled by default for all reviewers which doesn't happen to work on some of their cards. Also saying 1-5fps for 4k when that happens to be what i play at is a big deal. It can be the difference between 57 or 60fps, this isn't some cheap card this is a top of the line enthusiast gpu and i expect it to be tested to actually work properly out of the box.

Under no circumstances should a gpu be shipped with a profile/bios(whatever you want to call it) that isn't capable of being ran by the card.

hiong
Level 8
i understand the frustration, you should initiate an RMA, and try to accept that there will be lemons, no matter what kind of consumer goods.

Wyndoor
Level 7
I am trying to do an RMA but i've yet to be contacted back from the email or the phone call im supposed to be getting. Newegg is sold out still so im screwed until they actually reply.

samboy87
Level 9
well if you play in 4k i would recomend SLI , we aren't really there yet to play flawless in 4k.
Indeed the companies send their best cherrypicked GPUs to the reviewers with a custom bios that is in OC mode on arrival, in that way they can assure that their card clocks best and run coolest , thats what you call marketing. like Nvidia with their ''Founders Edition = Reference model'' . First when i heard the word Founders edition i thought of a special cherrypicked model that would clock above 2000mhz , thats awesome marketing, but really bad for the consumers. but thats life and a lesson learned, never trust review models and reviews on them because no mather what product a reviewer get , it's always free from defects to Ensure it never gets bad reviews 😉

What stable clocks do you get with your strix? and is it the ''Strix'' or Strix OC ?

Nate152
Hi Wyndoor

OC mode I imagine is one click overclocking like cpu level up for you cpu and that can be hit or miss depending on the quality of the cpu, most cpu's will run but there will be a few that won't just as you can expect with gpu's.

Nvidia has the voltage capped and I'm not sure what it is for the 1080 but you can set the voltage as high as it will go then overclock it manually and see how far you can get.

What psu do you have?

Wyndoor
Level 7
I have a 1300 watt EVGA supernova, i went from 980TI sli that ran fine to one 1080 so power isn't an issue. I tried manual overclocking its a no go this card should of never passed testing and never been sold. The OC mode isn't like you are wording it either. I have had tons of video cards over the years, my two 980Tis both have OC mode and it actually works on both of them. One might boost a few mhz higher than the other but the OC mode doesn't crash is the point. The problem here is they are obviously only testing these cards in their Gaming mode and then deciding they are fine n shipping them out. As i said above manual overclocking is never predictable but a bios mode the card comes with should always work.

Bahz
Level 12
Hi Wyndoor,

Sorry to hear about the problem you're having with the card, can you please send me a private message with the follow information?

Full name:
Contact#:
Email:
Open ticket/case ID:
Product serial number:
Current graphics driver version:
Current vbios version:

Thanks,
Bahz

I am also experiencing the same problem display driver crash and recover while running in OC mode. 😞