cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to buy: G20CB-Ws71

chilinmichael
Level 10
I'm very close to buying the WS71, the only thing I want to replace off the bat is the second hard drive (1tb HDD) with my Samsung 1tb SSD. From my understanding, the primary 256gb SSD is M.2 and that's the OS drive out of the box, correct? How hard would it be to replace the 1TB HDD with my Samsung SSD? I've seen a few postings but they seem to have made changes over the years?
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.
5 REPLIES 5

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
chilinmichael wrote:
I'm very close to buying the WS71, the only thing I want to replace off the bat is the second hard drive (1tb HDD) with my Samsung 1tb SSD. From my understanding, the primary 256gb SSD is M.2 and that's the OS drive out of the box, correct? How hard would it be to replace the 1TB HDD with my Samsung SSD? I've seen a few postings but they seem to have made changes over the years?

well here is my video and any more on how to replace the ssd in the pc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T_4eRNoHNk

the m.2 is under the optic dvd area, so your have to pretty much take out the cage where the ssd sits in to get to the m.2. From what I know and I don't own that version system is, that their use a normal 2.5" ssd and not a m.2, so that place will be free to use. it is easy to replace the normal 1tb and put your ssd there, but our gonna have to use a 3.5" to 2.5" insert to sit the ssd tidy. its a good system your picking and I got the g20aj and love the system. let me know if you have any more questions I can help you 🙂

Welsh Gaming

chilinmichael
Level 10
Really nice video, thank you!

So I'm seeing I can go one of two ways if I'm correct here...I can add the SSD in the area you showed in your video, or just replace the physical hard drive. Seems to be replacing the hard drive is easier, correct? Just get the video card out?

I read on the Asus site the 256gb is an M.2, so that extra slot should be free? Either way I think with what I'm seeing here I'll go to replace the physical hard drive with my 1tb SSD (Samsung 850EVO)
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
yeah its easy to replace the physical hdd, I got a video which covers this also. you have a lot options just depends on your needs 🙂

chilinmichael
Level 10
Yeah, I don't need the physical hard drive, the 256gb ssd + 1tb ssd I have should be enough, anything else I'll get network storage. I'd also think removing that physical hard drive should cut down the temps a bit...

Just saw your video on removing the physical hard drive, btw, thank you so much! Really big help.

Think I'm going to go for this to get my SSD in there: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Desktop-Converter-Mounting-BK-PCBS/dp/B00UN550AC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&...

chilinmichael
Level 10
Update: Finally got it, what an amazing PC. As you had suspected, the 250gb SSD is standard SATA. I promptly replaced the 1tb HDD with my 1TB SSD. I hope in the near future to add the M.2 PCIE SSD and transfer over my main drive to that. Where is that located if you happen to know off hand?