cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIII Formula Not Detecting GPU (gtx 780)

midiout
Level 7
I turned on my computer last week and my monitors didn't wake up or display an image. I could hear windows boot up as well as skype alerts, but no image on either screen. I though at first my video card ate it, but apparently that's not the problem.

I tested my video card (gtx 780) in my old computer, and it's working just fine. So I then assumed my motherboard was to blame, which was an instant headache. So I took an old video card I had in my closet (gtx 560), put it in my 'new' computer and it's working as expected. I've done some reading around and I can't find anyone with this specific problem.

Things I've tried:

• made sure it was seated well and locked in
  • used compressed air on the PCI-Slot
  • cleaned the video card connection with rubbing alcohol
  • tried the other PCI-E (8x) slot on my motherboard
  • replaced the cord connecting my video card to the power supply
  • tried a different power supply entirely
  • tested the 780 on another computer and it works
  • currently a 560 is in my computer, and working fine

I can't come to a conclusion as to what part is causing the problem. Everything seems to be working on it's own, but not together. It seems that I either have to send in my motherboard, or replace my video card but I can't pinpoint what one is to blame.

System Specs:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/brooker/saved/jj6323

BIOS hate:
https://imgur.com/ljV7gaq

Tldr;

• Video card (gtx 780) works on another computer, but not mine.
  • A second video card (gtx 560) is working on my computer.
  • Replacing my power supply had no impact.
17 REPLIES 17

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Are you using a monitor or a TV? And which connection are you using to connect your system to the monitor/TV?

A monitor, the Asus VG248QE. I usually use DVI but I've tried both DVI and HDMI on all of the video card's outputs.

Chino wrote:
Is your motherboard running the latest BIOS?

No it's not, it's running the version that it was shipped with. Is that something worth doing when it's been working for months on this version? Never in my life have I needed to update my BIOS, so I'm a little concerned.

Nate152
Hi midiout

I was using two 680's in sli with the original bios but seeing how both components work but not together you could try a bios update.

You are connecting both the 6-pin and 8-pin pcie power cables correct?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi midiout

I was using two 680's in sli with the original bios but seeing how both components work but not together you could try a bios update.

You are connecting both the 6-pin and 8-pin pcie power cables correct?

Sorry I've been brushing this off for a few days out of frustration.

I've now updated my BIOS to the latest version and it hasn't fixed the problem, and yes I'm using both the 6 and 8 pin connectors, and they're plugged in well.

Nate152
Thank you for the update. 🙂

Make sure the 780 is fully seated in the pcie slot and try using different monitor cables with one monitor for now.

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you for the update. 🙂

Make sure the 780 is fully seated in the pcie slot and try using different monitor cables with one monitor for now.

Yeah I've also tried that. So far I've:

• changed the DVI cables for new ones.
  • I tried HDMI with various cables.
  • replaced the PCI power cables.
  • pluged the PCI power cabled into a different slot on my powersupply.
  • replaced the powersupply for another one.
  • card is seated as well as it could be.
  • cleaned the PCI-E slot with compressed air.
  • cleaned the video cards connection point with isopropyl alcohol.
  • updated the BIOS

It still isn't working on this PC, but works on my old computer. Yet my old video card is working in this PC. Just to reiterate lol

Nate152
Yeah that is a strange problem, both are compatible and should work together.

Have you updated to the latest NVidia driver ?

And have you tried both monitors separately ?

What code does the motherboard give you when you try to boot with the 780 installed?