cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My G752VL Oculus Rift Experience

Googlegot
Level 9
I got the chance today to test out an oculus rift on my g752vl. The GPU is the GTX965m, and before you say it, I know it is not officially supported hardware.

That said, I tried it anyway. The rift headset never powered on, I tried several combinations of ports (every USB port, built-in HDMI, mini displayport to HDMI adapters) with absolutely no success whatsoever.

This is with the most recent versions of oculus home, usb 3, and nvidia drivers. The headset did work properly on a 2014 15" MacBook Pro Retina with windows 10 installed (super choppy, though), the g752 never even got through calibration as the headset did not power on and only displayed an amber light. I tried every troubleshooting step I could to no avail.

I knew it was a long shot, but just in case you were curious, the Oculus Rift VR Headset does NOT work with the G752VL. I suspect it will not work with other models either, it seems to be a problem with the HDMI/Mini displayport ports.
4 REPLIES 4

gtan777x
Level 7
well that's a bummer. I ran my G752VT-DH72 (970M 3GB) on the steam VR ready test http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/ for the HTC vive and it said it CAN run VR but very low quality and lower frame rates. Seems like VR is still out of reach then.

Googlegot
Level 9
In the coming weeks, I will have a chance to try an HTC Vive with my laptop, so stay tuned. I have higher hopes for that one as it doesn't use the crazy video modes that the oculus rift does.

Googlegot
Level 9
Googlegot wrote:
I got the chance today to test out an oculus rift on my g752vl. The GPU is the GTX965m, and before you say it, I know it is not officially supported hardware.

That said, I tried it anyway. The rift headset never powered on, I tried several combinations of ports (every USB port, built-in HDMI, mini displayport to HDMI adapters) with absolutely no success whatsoever.

This is with the most recent versions of oculus home, usb 3, and nvidia drivers. The headset did work properly on a 2014 15" MacBook Pro Retina with windows 10 installed (super choppy, though), the g752 never even got through calibration as the headset did not power on and only displayed an amber light. I tried every troubleshooting step I could to no avail.

I knew it was a long shot, but just in case you were curious, the Oculus Rift VR Headset does NOT work with the G752VL. I suspect it will not work with other models either, it seems to be a problem with the HDMI/Mini displayport ports.

I just got a 4k MiniDisplayport to HDMI adapter and the rift worked!!! On the 965m, the graphics were a bit jittery in heavily populated scenes (the tower demo), but when I set my overclock profile, they smoothed out and the experience was absolutely great.

Make sure you get a 4k MiniDP adapter and not a standard 1920x1200 one, as those do not work.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I know the HDMI ports are limited and just getting what you need for the mini display port can be a PITA. I added an ASUS PG279Q display to my G752VY and was a bit astonished when connecting it via HDMI. No sound through HDMI and locked at 60Hz period. Now go to any PC shop and try to buy a mini display port to full size display port adapter. No one carries them. You can get every other kind of mini display port to HDMI, DVI or even VGA but not full display port. Ordered one on amazon and BAM display Audio over display port so I can plug my speakers into the monitor jack and refresh rate is at 165Hz.
The VY with the 980 is marginal on the test right out of the box, just barely in the yellow. A few tweaks with no OC and its green.

Im going to wait a bit before jumping off that cliff. The VR is still in its infancy with limited games available and Im still waiting for the ASUS XG2 to be released so I can add a GTX 1080 external card.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein