Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Question Motherboard or CPU Dead?

Hi all,

Last night I had been using my computer as any normal day for the last year and a half since I built it. No problems whatsoever. Today I wake up, switch it on and it would only stay on for a second before switching off automatically. I unplugged the PSU for a few minutes, plugged it back in and this time it would start but it wouldn't boot at all (no POST).

The QLED code displayed is 00 and the CPU LED behind the 24-pin power connector is on solid red. Nothing comes out of the speaker plugged into the motherboard. I have disconnected all SATA devices, removed the graphics card and sound card and removed all four RAM sticks. The computer is now just the CPU, the CPU cooler and the motherboard (with the PSU of course).

Nothing I do appears to fix this. I have tried resetting the BIOS and even flashing it to the latest version via the dedicated ROG Connect button as per the motherboard manual. Switching BIOS to BIOS 2 doesn't fix it either.

I think it may be time to RMA something, but I'm not 100% sure if to RMA the motherboard or the CPU. It's either one for sure. Past experience tells me the CPU is the culprit because NOTHING is processed and the lack of RAM doesn't make the motherboard complain. What do you think?

My motherboard is the original Rampage V Extreme and I had been running BIOS version 3101 for a few weeks now without a hitch. My CPU is an Intel Core i7-5820K. Thank you in advance!

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array MeanMachine PC Specs
    MeanMachine PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)I enjoy my wife
    MotherboardCVI HERO + CVII Hero Wifi
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1800X + 2700X
    Memory (part number)CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 + F4-3200C14D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX980 SC for CVFZ
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GTX 1080 hybrid
    Graphics Card #3GTX 770 for phys x
    Sound CardMB
    MonitorHP w2408h
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2
    Storage #2Samsung 840EVO 500GB and 960 M.2 pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H105, H110 and H115i
    CaseCorsair 750D and 780T
    Power SupplyCorsair AX-1200i and Antec 850 pro platinum
    Keyboard Logitech K800
    Mouse Razer Mamba
    Headset Corsair Vengeance 2100
    OS W7 Ultimate 64bit and W10 pro 64bit
    Network RouterNetcom Wireless NF18ACV

Hi Gib007 I'm pretty sure you know the answer and I concur with your findings.

Unfortunately Qcode 00 is a difficult one to determine and usually involves a benchtest outside the case.
    As the CPU_LED is lit then, its as you say either MB or CPU and my bet its the CPU. Your going to have to check both.

In other situations where iv'e encountered Qcode 00, Iv'e benchtested starting in minimalist state, then added one component at a time checking my Qcodes as I go till the culprit is found.
    Its not always the CPU or MB and can be the PSU. If you haven't got parts to swap out then RMA both.
    We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
    CPU:
    AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post
    Hi Gib007 I'm pretty sure you know the answer and I concur with your findings.

Unfortunately Qcode 00 is a difficult one to determine and usually involves a benchtest outside the case.
    As the CPU_LED is lit then, its as you say either MB or CPU and my bet its the CPU. Your going to have to check both.

In other situations where iv'e encountered Qcode 00, Iv'e benchtested starting in minimalist state, then added one component at a time checking my Qcodes as I go till the culprit is found.
    Its not always the CPU or MB and can be the PSU. If you haven't got parts to swap out then RMA both.
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah, it's hard to know which it is but my diagnoses tell me it's most probably the CPU. I called Intel and they immediately sorted out an RMA for me. I sent off the CPU earlier today so hopefully I get a replacement soon enough. I will post here once I receive it and test it.

If it still doesn't work with the new CPU, it's the motherboard so I would request an RMA for that. Let's hope it's just the CPU - I can't be bothered to wait for two RMAs!

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array MeanMachine PC Specs
    MeanMachine PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)I enjoy my wife
    MotherboardCVI HERO + CVII Hero Wifi
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1800X + 2700X
    Memory (part number)CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 + F4-3200C14D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX980 SC for CVFZ
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GTX 1080 hybrid
    Graphics Card #3GTX 770 for phys x
    Sound CardMB
    MonitorHP w2408h
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2
    Storage #2Samsung 840EVO 500GB and 960 M.2 pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H105, H110 and H115i
    CaseCorsair 750D and 780T
    Power SupplyCorsair AX-1200i and Antec 850 pro platinum
    Keyboard Logitech K800
    Mouse Razer Mamba
    Headset Corsair Vengeance 2100
    OS W7 Ultimate 64bit and W10 pro 64bit
    Network RouterNetcom Wireless NF18ACV

Yea downtime is a pain and happens to us all at times. Quality control these days sucks.
    Good Luck and let us know what happens.
    We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
    CPU:
    AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array meankeys PC Specs
    meankeys PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Apex / Maximus IX APEX / Rampage V EX V10
    Processor7920X / 5960X / 6950X / 7700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z - 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Zotac 1080 Ti
    Graphics Card #2Zotac 1080 Ti
    Graphics Card #3ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 OC
    Monitor3 X ASUS V248Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCool Express SS
    Power SupplyThermaltake Tough Power Grand 1200W
    Keyboard Cyberus
    Headset Tittan
    OS Win 7 64bit
    Network RouterASUS

Gib007 sorry to hear about your rig. Intel has one of the best tech support I have ever had to deal with. They will take good care of you. Did you try a different PSU?

ROG Member Array

Thank you, I will do!

Indeed, I was very impressed with Intel. Phoned them up and they sorted it all out over the phone, with the RMA information e-mailed a few minutes after. Then when it came to posting the CPU, they paid for DHL Courier both ways. Certainly cannot complain - they have excellent customer service.

Asus was quick to respond too but they think it's probably the CPU so since I've started the RMA on that already, I may as well wait to receive the replacement.

Regarding trying a new PSU, I unfortunately don't have another spare I can try. I thought about it, but I honestly think this is a CPU/motherboard issue (tending more towards CPU). All things can fail, of course, but I've found PSUs to be very resilient. Mine is an EVGA Supernova G2 1000W PSU that's only one and a half years old.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array meankeys PC Specs
    meankeys PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Apex / Maximus IX APEX / Rampage V EX V10
    Processor7920X / 5960X / 6950X / 7700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z - 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Zotac 1080 Ti
    Graphics Card #2Zotac 1080 Ti
    Graphics Card #3ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 OC
    Monitor3 X ASUS V248Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCool Express SS
    Power SupplyThermaltake Tough Power Grand 1200W
    Keyboard Cyberus
    Headset Tittan
    OS Win 7 64bit
    Network RouterASUS

Some times small fluctuation in voltage can play havoc on a motherboard. Once you get your new cpu hopefully everything is A ok but if not try a PSU first.
    Good luck

ROG Member Array

Good news! I received the new CPU today and it's working great!

ROG Enthusiast Array jdpg265 PC Specs
    jdpg265 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme
    ProcessorCore i7-5960X Extreme Edition
    Memory (part number)32 GB G Skill F4-2800C16-8GRK
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    MonitorAsus ROG PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung NVMe SSD 950
    Storage #2Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H110i GT
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma
    Mouse Razer Mamba TE
    Headset Astro A50
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.10586.17
    Accessory #1 Razer Orbweaver Chroma

I went through this myself recently. After buying and returning a second of everything from Newegg to test (less processor), It was the CPU that went bad. Good news is Intel does cross shipping and are very helpful. I had my 5960x in 24 hours. Another thing I tried was the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool, it comes in three flavors. One if you can get windows to boot, the other if you can get a Linux usb drive too boot and the final (which I used ) is a UFEI bios version that runs as the bios.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array TSportM PC Specs
    TSportM PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS ROG G751JY
    MotherboardRampage Vi extreme Encore X299
    Processor10980XE@5.1ghz-1.360v
    Memory (part number)gskill ddr4 Royal gold 3600@3800
    Graphics Card #1Geforce RTX 3090@2100mhz
    Sound Cardonboard
    Monitor32:9 samsung C49H/ 2X asus 27 / 1X LG34
    Storage #1Samsung 970EvoPlus 1TB
    Storage #24xraid0 1tb wd black / 2Xsamsung SSD 850evo 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom LOOP
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplyCorsair 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS full Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Chakram
    Headset AStro A50
    Mouse Pad ASUS SHEATH
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z5500 digital
    OS windows 10 pro 64bit
    Network Routerasus GT - AX11000

Quote Originally Posted by Gib007 View Post
    Hi all,

Last night I had been using my computer as any normal day for the last year and a half since I built it. No problems whatsoever. Today I wake up, switch it on and it would only stay on for a second before switching off automatically. I unplugged the PSU for a few minutes, plugged it back in and this time it would start but it wouldn't boot at all (no POST).

The QLED code displayed is 00 and the CPU LED behind the 24-pin power connector is on solid red. Nothing comes out of the speaker plugged into the motherboard. I have disconnected all SATA devices, removed the graphics card and sound card and removed all four RAM sticks. The computer is now just the CPU, the CPU cooler and the motherboard (with the PSU of course).

Nothing I do appears to fix this. I have tried resetting the BIOS and even flashing it to the latest version via the dedicated ROG Connect button as per the motherboard manual. Switching BIOS to BIOS 2 doesn't fix it either.

I think it may be time to RMA something, but I'm not 100% sure if to RMA the motherboard or the CPU. It's either one for sure. Past experience tells me the CPU is the culprit because NOTHING is processed and the lack of RAM doesn't make the motherboard complain. What do you think?

My motherboard is the original Rampage V Extreme and I had been running BIOS version 3101 for a few weeks now without a hitch. My CPU is an Intel Core i7-5820K. Thank you in advance!

Hi does the yelloish pci lanes lighs light UP ?

1ª boot the board again and conect a fan to a few fan headers see if the fan spins !

2º Remove the CPU from the socket and try booting again the 00 code will of course be present conect a fan to header if it works and the pci light come on the board should be OK

3º Try booting whith the CPU on , no heatsink if it does no head up , you will feel it the CPU is dead

glad its sorted out but the above procedure can 95% of times indicate the at least the CPU is dead

cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast