cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20 Video Card Upgrade

stitch1
Level 7
When installing a new graphics card into the G20 there seems to be an issue with the safe boot feature of Windows because this is a Windows certified product. What are you guys doing to circumvent this issue?

The reason I ask is I am installing a GTX1070 into my G20AJ that came with both power supplies as well as a GTX960. I was able to get windows to boot correctly once but since then I get a black screen every time I try to boot with the 1070. However, I am able to get into windows using the integrated graphics. So, what am I doing wrong and how can I prevent the black startup screen going forward.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
which model do you have, like g20aj or g20bm or g20cb? didn't you move the single pin across? if you don't have the single pin in my video then just below that is a row of pins which need to be all in the same postion, this is info I have seen from people that have upgraded on the g20cb model

Hello there,

Yes, the pin was already setup to the left. The 5 pins below were already moved up to the top. The GPU has worked. However, only after like a million restarts with no rhyme or reason. I have reinstalled windows, reset CMOS, disabled intel GPU drivers, uninstalled drivers using DDU in safe mode, Plugged my power supplys directly into the wall, made sure I was on the latest BIOS, as well as the latest version of Windows. Something keeps making it want to use the integrated graphics instead of the 1070. The model is the G20AJ.

annyh1lator
Level 7
You are solved problem ?

Not really. I just put the 960 back in the ROG and built a new gaming rig. My wife will be using the ROG going forwared for work and MMOs. I gave up on getting the 1070 to run in it. Too much of a pain.

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11