PsychoHUN
Level 7
N551VW-FW238T
BIOS: 205
CPU: i7 6700HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: GTX960M
Storage: 128GB mSATA SSD + 2TB HDD

All factory hardware, including the AC adapter. No temp/voltage monitoring software installed, never overclocked.

Issue: keyboard backlight does not work.

I bought the machine a few weeks ago, the backlight never worked, it doesn't flash up even during boot. I tried messing around with the ATK package, pressing FN + F3/F4 registers, as it shows up on the screen (kb brightness up/down), but the keyboard itself never lights up.
The strange thing is, that my F3 and F4 keys have no backlight up/down icon, only the 'F3' and 'F4' text, which led me to believe that this model, or this keyboard has no backlight, even though it was advertised as a backlit keyboard.
Then I came across this thread ( https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18644-Problem-with-backlit-G55&p=596755&viewfull=1#post596... ), in which a similar problem is described, but for an entirely different line-up of notebooks.
The solution in that thread includes messing around with the BIOS, and as the machines are so different, I didn't dare to try it yet, as I don't really want to brick the notebook so early... 😛

Am I safe to use that method, or is there anything else that I could try to get the backlight working?
1 REPLY 1

PsychoHUN
Level 7
Update:
I took the computer apart to see if maybe the keyboard cable (or in this case, the keyboard backlight cable) was broken or not connected properly.
Turns out, my keyboard does not have the additional 4 pin brownish connector, which is (I assume) the backlight power cable, which makes sense, as the F3 and F4 buttons have no backlight brightness up/down icons either.
So my keyboard model has no backlighting, however, it is clearly stated on several sites that it should have, like this one: http://www.intel.co.uk/buy/uk/en/product/laptops/asus-n551vw-fw238t-notebook-487127#tech_specs

Is it possible that during manufacturing, a wrong keyboard was installed? I highly doubt it, but I have no other explanation... :confused:
Should I RMA the notebook? Or is a thing like this even covered under warranty (I hope I didn't void it by taking it apart)?