cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting Fast Boot / Hiberfil.sys Windows10

AtlasMinor
Level 8
Thought i would share how i officially fixed fast boot. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me....

Short run down of the solution without long stories

Click Power Options -- Click Power Button Options

Click ( Change settings currently not available)

Select Fast startup

Head to UEFI

Enable Fast Boot,

Now watch fast boot NOT work properly....

OK

Open CMD Prompt ADMIN

Open file explore , select show hidden files and Show Protected System Files

Open C:/ drive

look for Hiberfil.sys file Do Not delete this file !

This is the whole reason fast boot is screwed up in windows-10, apparently windows10 combined with UEFI are locking the file from changes immediatly after first login after upgrade/install

Go back to your open cmd prompt and copy past this command

powercfg -a

will look something like this58012

If windows10 shows you have fast boot options for your laptop, you will be able to complete the next steps

Copy/paste these commands

powercfg -h on and press Enter to activate hiberation

powercfg -h off to deactivate

Then

powercfg -h on

to re-enable the function, you can watch the magic happen in both your C: drive and start menu as it disappears and reappears, NOW very important

Open power options Click Lid Options, and select Hibernate When Lid Cloese for both Battery and Plugged in

Close lid wait 2minutes or 120sec

Re=open lid make sure you have lid UEFI option enabled as well. You guys should now have a fast booting laptop, and if you disable fast boot in both places UEFI and win10 you should see a 30-45sec slower boot, just for proof.

Caution- Deleting the hibersys.fil will cause a dreaded Windows Operating System Drive is Locked error upon next reboot, So leave that file intact and never delete it permently, goes for Free drive scrubbers and cleaners.. they can sweep out that file and could be another cause, so this will get Fast Boot back to normal.
0 REPLIES 0