cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer crashing despite no CPU overclock (4770k..780 OC. Maximus VI Hero)

avislux
Level 7
CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 24GB (3 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card Overclocked
Case Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

My computer recently started crashing when playing games. They generally happen after about 10-40 minutes after running the game. Notable games include GTA 5 and Overwatch. I recognize these crashes as instability crashes. The monitors freeze and a sharp static sound plays through the headphones or speakers. Sometimes upon rebooting the mobo gives me an "Overclocking failed" message and prompts me to tweak BIOS settings.

My computer would also randomly restart when playing games sometimes. When attempting to restart itself, the computer turns off and on constantly until it finally boots or I have to switch off the power supply and wait a bit before turning it on.

This isn't the first time this started happening. Last time this happened I managed to tweak BIOS settings in combination with installing multiple case fans to fix the issue, and the build ran stable up until recently.

Despite disabling the overclocking on the CPU it still crashes. I have checked the temperatures while gaming. The GPU runs at about 50-60 degrees C and the CPU around 55. When idle they are 33 and 40 respectively. I feel that it should not be a heat issue but I have found that GTA 5 crashed my computer faster when I did not have the fans at full speed.

When I started having issues, CPU Ratio was at 38 and CPU cache ratio on Auto at 39. Despite changing these values to lower ones the computer still crashes. Right now they're both on 35.
Using "Load Optimal Defaults" in the BIOS did not help.
I have cleared the CMOS jumper and reseated the CMOS battery.
I ran Memtest86 overnight with no issues.

First I noticed issues with my computer restarting during or after playing Overwatch. More issues appeared after my computer crashed from playing BF4. Specifically my computer would now crash during Overwatch and Dota 2. There aren't any problems with less graphically demanding games. Running Dota 2 with lower settings does not crash the computer. Additionally I ran a Furmark stress test and the computer crashed after I ended the test.

I am using a factory overclocked GPU. I have a feeling that the problem is with the GPU or the drivers. I tried talking to PNY tech support but they seem to be really slow with email. I have tried to underclock the card to clock values around those of a regular 780 but I still have problems.

I also have a previous thread here. I think I managed to fix it that time by loading optimal values. Didn't work this time.
What can I do to try to make my build more stable?
2 REPLIES 2

Nate152
Hi avislux

I would remove the extra stick of ram and try it, make sure you're using the two sticks that came as a kit.

Three sticks is a triple channel configuration, how it is now two sticks are running in dual channel and one stick is running in single channel.

avislux
Level 7
I removed the third stick the other day actually. I bought the third stick separately for an older PC. Still having problems though.