cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus Hero VIII and CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Toutatis
Level 7
Hello !

I have installed Corsair memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (2x8 GB) on an Asus Maximus Hero VIII. This memory is in the QVL.
I use XMP, frequency 3000Mhz is correct, but only 8GB are detected. How can I get the two memory modules (16GB) detected ?
Anyway, the system seems to work well (on linux slackware64) with 8GB.

Thank you in advance for the answers.
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hi Toutatis

Welcome to the ROG forum.

If only 8GB is detected at default settings you could have a bad memory stick or there could be a problem with the Dimm slot. Try each stick in the same slot to confirm both sticks are working.

If both sticks work try Dimm slots A1 B1.

If a Dimm slot isn't working a bent cpu socket pin or two can cause this.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Toutatis

Welcome to the ROG forum.

If only 8GB is detected at default settings you could have a bad memory stick or there could be a problem with the Dimm slot. Try each stick in the same slot to confirm both sticks are working.

If both sticks work try Dimm slots A1 B1.

If a Dimm slot isn't working a bent cpu socket pin or two can cause this.

Hi Nate152,

I have tried A1-B1, but now the memory is not detected at all (q-code 53), even with one memory module in any slot. I have also verified
the CPU and socket that seems OK, and cleared CMOS.
I have also tried with Gskill modules that are not in the QVL (but Gskill claims that they are compatible), with exactly the same result.
I think that I will try to obtain a RMA.

Nate152
All right

Yeah if you're getting the same thing with two ram kits, it's likely the mobo or possibly the cpu.

You could try reflashing the bios and see if that helps any, if it doesn't....

Give us an update on how your replacement motherboard works.

meankeys
Level 13
According to the Maximus VIII Hero Manual Dimm Slot A2 - B2 should be used for 2 sticks of memory. Qcode 53 means memory not detected. try your dimms in those slots and report back.

On my Hero board the slots are red (sometimes light gray) install them there and boot to default settings. If ram is detected switch to XMP settings.
Good Luck