cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Overclocking Asus Z170-A + I3-6100 + Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB 2400MHZ

AnonGhost
Level 11
people help me to overclock my systemAsus Z170-A + I3-6100 + Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB 2400MHZ
MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370E - GAMING
CPU: INTEL CORE I5 - 8600K
CPU COOLER: Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 TT Premium Edition
GPU: ASUS STRIX GEFORCE GTX 970 OC
RAM: 16GB - 2x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600MHz CL18-22-22-42 1.35V
16GB (2x8GB)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 850W 80+ GOLD
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi AnonGhost

Welcome to the ROG forum.

For overclocking you should have got a cpu with a K on the end like the 6600k or 6700k. The only way to overclock your cpu is with the BCLK (if Intel allows this) and you may also need a special bios version.

http://overclocking.guide/asus-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/

I've read that the I3 6100 and 6300 can be overclocked to 4.5 GHZ using BCLK on the Skylake motherboards.

Edit to caution: Apparently the new motherboards are shipping with updated BIOSes that no longer allow non K processors to be overclocked.
The new BIOS are very similar to the older versions but many people have reported problems losing functionality or even
terminally bricking their systems flashing with non supported BIOS.
I Couldn't find a BIOS for overclocking non K CPU's listed for the Z170 Sabertooth S motherboard.

Latest BIOS update for the Sabertooth is 2202 its the same version number as the Maximus series but no clue how it handles the older non K CPU's

These are dual core 3M and 4M cached with quad threading.
Some multithreaded benchmark tests seem to indicate the dual cores perform at about half the speed of the 6M, 8M cached quad core I7 offerings.
Be an interesting experiment for someone on a students budget, the single core clocked at 4.5 GHZ would suit a vast number of applications.
Might even suffice (for older games) till there is a better, affordable Z170 CPU.

Hi Dicksmustang,

About OC the none K versions.. You do realize when you attempt this your warranty expires.

And yes the the 2202 has no support on BCLK OC for the none K versions.

You dont need a specail version for this. You need an old version. Think one of first versions for this Mobo. I dont think they are on the ASUS website anymore.

And all guides you find on youtube/internet are people with good chips. Dont expect the same 😞

regards
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal

Dicksmustang wrote:
I've read that the I3 6100 and 6300 can be overclocked to 4.5 GHZ using BCLK on the Skylake motherboards.

Edit to caution: Apparently the new motherboards are shipping with updated BIOSes that no longer allow non K processors to be overclocked.
The new BIOS are very similar to the older versions but many people have reported problems losing functionality or even
terminally bricking their systems flashing with non supported BIOS.
I Couldn't find a BIOS for overclocking non K CPU's listed for the Z170 Sabertooth S motherboard.

Latest BIOS update for the Sabertooth is 2202 its the same version number as the Maximus series but no clue how it handles the older non K CPU's

These are dual core 3M and 4M cached with quad threading.
Some multithreaded benchmark tests seem to indicate the dual cores perform at about half the speed of the 6M, 8M cached quad core I7 offerings.
Be an interesting experiment for someone on a students budget, the single core clocked at 4.5 GHZ would suit a vast number of applications.
Might even suffice (for older games) till there is a better, affordable Z170 CPU.

Hi Dicksmustang,
There is a way to overclock withtout special BIOS. When you go to Extreme Tweaker/AI Tweaker in BIOS, AI Tuner -> Manual, check BCLK to 102 and make sure your memory is a good overclocker and you will have some speed boost. In multiplier, set to 37 for Intel 6100/ 38 for Intel Core 6300, because it is maximum lock multiplier. try it.
Sincerely,
Legolas

Hello!I really need this particular bios file but the link is no longer working。Could you please share this bios file again if it is convenient?