Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    1

    HDMI input and an issue with dynamic/colour/RGB range - PG279Q

    Firstly, I would imagine there isn't a whole lot of users that would use the HDMI input over DisplayPort, unless of course they had a secondary device. And this is where the issue will present itself. Typically the HDMI would be used for a console, which would mean 1080p and therein lies a problem. Whether it is the monitor I received or a problem with this model, it is unable to display greys when the dynamic/colour/RGB range (different wordings depending on device) is set to Full. This results in an image with darker colours becoming completely black, and thus you're unable to actually see the scene. To provide a small reference or test, Lagom's black level test page is able to highlight the issue. Square 10 is very hard to distinguish from the background. Anything less than 10 isn't distinguishable at all. A setting of Limited will correctly display all squares, however images in general with this option don't produce a very desirable output on a monitor that should correctly display 'Full'.

    I've done some testing with this and when 1920x1080 is used (or maybe less, I didn't test) does this issue present itself. Weirdly enough the native resolution (2560x1400) through HDMI doesn't exhibit this issue.

    DisplayPort works fine. That is my main input from the PC. It would be nice if the HDMI input worked without issue. This monitor was manufactured in January 2016 with the S/N beginning G1.

    So, is anyone able to confirm whether their monitor is exactly the same? All responses will be greatly appreciated. It doesn't necessarily have to be this particular model as I suspect it may be another issue with the G-Sync module used - which hopefully can be fixed via a firmware update.

    I've tried ASUS technical support already and would you believe it, there aren't any known issues with this monitor! They should have replied with that bit in yellow as I wouldn't have been able to see it given the entire left half of my screen has a yellow tint.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Crashcourse316 PC Specs
    Crashcourse316 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Z97 Wifi-Pro
    ProcessorI7-4790k
    Memory (part number)32GB G-Skills
    Graphics Card #1MSI GEFORCE® GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G
    MonitorPG279Q
    Storage #1Samsumg 951 Pro m.2 512GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100
    Power Supply1600W 80 Platinum
    OS Win10

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Reputation
    15
    Posts
    219

    Quote Originally Posted by MaKa_9tF View Post
    Firstly, I would imagine there isn't a whole lot of users that would use the HDMI input over DisplayPort, unless of course they had a secondary device. And this is where the issue will present itself. Typically the HDMI would be used for a console, which would mean 1080p and therein lies a problem. Whether it is the monitor I received or a problem with this model, it is unable to display greys when the dynamic/colour/RGB range (different wordings depending on device) is set to Full. This results in an image with darker colours becoming completely black, and thus you're unable to actually see the scene. To provide a small reference or test, Lagom's black level test page is able to highlight the issue. Square 10 is very hard to distinguish from the background. Anything less than 10 isn't distinguishable at all. A setting of Limited will correctly display all squares, however images in general with this option don't produce a very desirable output on a monitor that should correctly display 'Full'.

    I've done some testing with this and when 1920x1080 is used (or maybe less, I didn't test) does this issue present itself. Weirdly enough the native resolution (2560x1400) through HDMI doesn't exhibit this issue.

    DisplayPort works fine. That is my main input from the PC. It would be nice if the HDMI input worked without issue. This monitor was manufactured in January 2016 with the S/N beginning G1.

    So, is anyone able to confirm whether their monitor is exactly the same? All responses will be greatly appreciated. It doesn't necessarily have to be this particular model as I suspect it may be another issue with the G-Sync module used - which hopefully can be fixed via a firmware update.

    I've tried ASUS technical support already and would you believe it, there aren't any known issues with this monitor! They should have replied with that bit in yellow as I wouldn't have been able to see it given the entire left half of my screen has a yellow tint.

    I never Attempted a HDMI cable with this monitor what it seems like it maybe there is a settings issue between the console and monitor(could be firmware and/or not a fixable issue). from what it sounds like is that this issue would be present with every one of these monitors and you may just need to mess around until you find the right settings(including changing the settings on your console for display output). The other option and I highly suggest would be to not use a 165hz 1440p monitor that costs $800 on a console that can only put out 60hz max at 1080p and only costs <$400. Use something that is more standard to a console like a less expensive TV or just anything lying around that has 1080p. On a side note with the yellow tint, I have tried five of these monitors over 4 months and they all had yellow tint uniformity issues. 3 had the top half tinted, one had the entire screen tinted. and one has the top left quarter which is fairly non noticeable unless a white screen background. So far I'm keeping this latest one because the BLB is MUCH better than the previous 4 its very minimal in a 2 spots and then the usual bottom right corner by the LED power light. Still might return this one, if I don't its only because I have a replacement plan on the monitor if "anything" goes wrong with it.
    I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    I know this is kind of an old thread, but I'm having the same issue. I decided to play my PS4 on my PG279Q, and since this is a monitor, I set the PS4 to "full range." However, I noticed it was causing black crush. I even tested it using Lagom's black level test. I got the exact result as the thread creator. I can't distinguish the squares lower than 10. It would be much appreciated if someone could explain to me why the monitor is having this issue with the PS4.

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Crashcourse316 PC Specs
    Crashcourse316 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Z97 Wifi-Pro
    ProcessorI7-4790k
    Memory (part number)32GB G-Skills
    Graphics Card #1MSI GEFORCE® GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G
    MonitorPG279Q
    Storage #1Samsumg 951 Pro m.2 512GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100
    Power Supply1600W 80 Platinum
    OS Win10

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Reputation
    15
    Posts
    219

    Quote Originally Posted by Luscinia View Post
    I know this is kind of an old thread, but I'm having the same issue. I decided to play my PS4 on my PG279Q, and since this is a monitor, I set the PS4 to "full range." However, I noticed it was causing black crush. I even tested it using Lagom's black level test. I got the exact result as the thread creator. I can't distinguish the squares lower than 10. It would be much appreciated if someone could explain to me why the monitor is having this issue with the PS4.
    I set mine up with my xbox a while as a input lag test and had to change the settings in my xbox to the color settings that would allow the Monitor to see it as a valid signal. I Assume it's a similar issue with the PS4. Colors were darker than normal and I think I had to change the resolution down to 720p for it to work. Consoles aren't meant to run on a 1440p 165hz computer monitor setup...I think thats the real issue here.
    I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by Crashcourse316 View Post
    I set mine up with my xbox a while as a input lag test and had to change the settings in my xbox to the color settings that would allow the Monitor to see it as a valid signal. I Assume it's a similar issue with the PS4. Colors were darker than normal and I think I had to change the resolution down to 720p for it to work. Consoles aren't meant to run on a 1440p 165hz computer monitor setup...I think thats the real issue here.
    You're right, that might be the issue. I know consoles weren't meant for such a monitor. Still, I thought that I would get full range (0-255) of color. Changing the resolution from 1080p to 720p doesn't make a difference. With the PS4 set to limited RGB the black crush is gone but colors are a bit washed out. My best guess as to the cause of this problem is similar to the thread creators. I assume sometime during upscaling to 1440p over HDMI the ability to support full RGB gets lost. This makes me wonder if its a fault of the monitor's in-built scaler or the PS4. I tried googling for more detailed information but this is the only thread I found. Either way, the problem is bothering me considering the amount I paid for this monitor.

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Crashcourse316 PC Specs
    Crashcourse316 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Z97 Wifi-Pro
    ProcessorI7-4790k
    Memory (part number)32GB G-Skills
    Graphics Card #1MSI GEFORCE® GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G
    MonitorPG279Q
    Storage #1Samsumg 951 Pro m.2 512GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100
    Power Supply1600W 80 Platinum
    OS Win10

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Reputation
    15
    Posts
    219

    Quote Originally Posted by Luscinia View Post
    You're right, that might be the issue. I know consoles weren't meant for such a monitor. Still, I thought that I would get full range (0-255) of color. Changing the resolution from 1080p to 720p doesn't make a difference. With the PS4 set to limited RGB the black crush is gone but colors are a bit washed out. My best guess as to the cause of this problem is similar to the thread creators. I assume sometime during upscaling to 1440p over HDMI the ability to support full RGB gets lost. This makes me wonder if its a fault of the monitor's in-built scaler or the PS4. I tried googling for more detailed information but this is the only thread I found. Either way, the problem is bothering me considering the amount I paid for this monitor.

    Its not the monitors fault or the PS4 fault. its just that they weren't meant to run on a PC monitors hardware. TV's use a different signal style than monitors RGB. In the XBOX it tells you..do not switch to RGB mode unless you are using a display that supports it. and it warns about pad image quality and junk. I think some monitors will work well that are more "standard" like a simple 60hz 1080p monitor. But running a console on a G-sync 165hz 1440p monitor that is a completely overkill product. may not handle it as well as something that matches the peasant we call a console. you cant drop a ferrari engine into a ford focus and expect it to not self destruct instantly.

    I would suggest gettings a 60-120hz cheap 27' tv for 100-200$ and put it on the side. or bigger. theres some working 40' 1080p tv's for $200 new then you can run both pc and console at one time without needing to switch around. I am fortunate enough to be white privilege enough to have three large "nice" tv's and this monitor and spare time. so i don't really get the point of saving my money
    Last edited by Crashcourse316; 01-05-2017 at 07:18 PM.
    I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •