Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage v Extreme x99 bios settings

kempouk
Level 7
hi all,
im new here and wondered if i could be pointed in the right direction,
i got my asus rampage v extreme board from scan and it cam with the cpu fitted and all configured,
i have had the rig a year now and feel the bois could do with updating, well im worried that if i update it i will lose all the pre configured settings that seem so stable as the system is overclocked
and my cpu Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3500 Mhz, 6 Core(s), (running at 4.4Mhz) will need clocking again,
my ai suite went bust a while ago with the access violation code and hasnt worked for ages and in the bios there are many settings.
my question is there anywhere or how i can save the bios settings and re use them and would this work with an updated bios.
if not is there anywhere i could copy some settings to keep my rig running sweet.
thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

erixx11
Level 11
start the PC with a USB drive plugged in, and use the Screen Capture feature in BIOS. Or... write it all down on paper, it is not that much!

Qwinn
Level 11
my question is there anywhere or how i can save the bios settings and re use them and would this work with an updated bios.

Couple things.

1) You can save your BIOS settings to a USB stick, but that saved setting file will only work for the BIOS it was created under. So no, you can't load it after you've updated. You could use it if you decide you don't like the new BIOS and revert back to your current, though. But there is no getting around the fact that you *will* have to manually reenter all your settings after updating to a brand new BIOS.

2) The way I use to get a simple list of my settings that differ from default is to do this: Load optimized defaults, then go to Save and Exit (but don't actually confirm to do so). You will be provided with a list of the settings that would be changed by going to optimized defaults (both the before and after values - the "before" value being what you want to make note of, of course). You may have to scroll down to see them all. Copy those down. Note that this does NOT always capture all of the actual voltage settings properly. Make sure to manually seek out and write down the values of the voltage settings that you don't have set to Auto (should only be a few - most of the time simple overclocking only requires adjustments to vcore, vcache, system agent, input voltage and dram voltage, and often not even all of those). The above "Save and Exit" method will capture and display every *other* setting that differs from optimized defaults though. Write them down, then you can just discard the changes and reboot.

3) If you're updating to the 3xxx BIOS series, you'll have to sit through a couple of "BIOS is updating" reboots during the flash process. This is normal - it is updating a couple of firmwares. If you have *any* problems once that's done (mysterious reboots for no reason, etc.), I highly recommend reflashing the same BIOS a second time so that the process can finish without having to update those extra firmwares or go through any "BIOS is updating" reboots. That has resolved problems for a lot of people. Also, I'd recommend not to run your memory at optimized defaults (2133 Mhz if you're on Haswell-E) on any 3xxx BIOS. At least run with XMP settings.

There is some sound advice here qwinn, thank you for taking the time to give me this information,
i shall follow it and see how i get on.
you see i purchased 2 new 1080 gtx cards and a new hb bridge and with my Corsair Dominator 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 Memory 16gb memory i was kind of hoping for a better result in fire strike 4k
but i think something is holding back and cant seem to find it.
i realise that the cpu im running only has 28 lanes and this causes bottlenecking on one of my pcie express 16x slots and only lets the port run at 8x,
im think upgrading the cpu to a Intel i7 5960X Haswell-E 2011-3 Extreme Unlocked with 40 lanes would improve things but before parting with £900 i thought i would try the bios
and a fresh nvidia driver install.
there just seems to be a bug in here somewhere that is holding this system back.
so a new bios was my first port of call.
thanks again for the tips ill follow your input thanks.

Qwinn
Level 11
My understanding is that PCIe 3.0 running at 8x isn't much of a bottleneck at all for any current video card. I wouldn't spend any money at all to resolve that, you''re bound to be disappointed. You'd get more bang for the buck going to 32gb memory.

What is your firestrike score?

Edit: that's not to say the 5960x wouldn't give you a performance boost. It definitely would. It just wouldn't be due to the lanes issue.

Edit 2: Actually i assumed you were running a 5820k because that's the only Haswell E 28 lane CPU. Reread your first post, and see you have a 5930k. That's a 40 lane chip. You should be able to run both cards at 16x with it. I do. You can confirm how many lanes they're using in the BIOS GPU Post screen.