cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20CB SSD M.2 SSD can i use sata 3 or just PCIe x4

six4bravo
Level 10
Hi guys, does anyone know if the M.2 slot in the MB supports sata 3 or only PCIe x4 SSD. I believe i made a mistake and ordered a samsung EVO 850 M.2 SSD with the sata 3. Not sure if this MB supports both protocols on the M.2 slot. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Most likely not going to support sata M.2, some motherboards support both, but I didn't feel like trying it out, so back to Newegg it goes, got a 1TB samsung 850 evo 2.5" SSD instead.

The sata 1TB EVO 850 installed perfectly without any issue cloned using the free samsung magration software. The 2TB HDD is now a storage drive.
6 REPLIES 6

jeezy9
Level 7
six4bravo wrote:
Hi guys, does anyone know if the M.2 slot in the MB supports sata 3 or only PCIe x4 SSD. I believe i made a mistake and ordered a samsung EVO 850 M.2 SSD with the sata 3. Not sure if this MB supports both protocols on the M.2 slot. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Most likely not going to support sata M.2, some motherboards support both, but I didn't feel like trying it out, so back to Newegg it goes, got a 1TB samsung 850 evo 2.5" SSD instead.

The sata 1TB EVO 850 installed perfectly without any issue cloned using the free samsung magration software. The 2TB HDD is now a storage drive.

Can I inquire how did you got about making the SSD your main boot drive? I've installed mine already but I'm not sure what to change in the BIOS setting for it to be the boot drive. I ask because I also did the cloning method, thanks!

jeezy9 wrote:
Can I inquire how did you got about making the SSD your main boot drive? I've installed mine already but I'm not sure what to change in the BIOS setting for it to be the boot drive. I ask because I also did the cloning method, thanks!

First things first, in my water cooling thread there is instructions on how to set up the drivers to AHCI from RAID, do that first.

After the migration is complete, reboot, enter the bios. In the bios, there is a boot list. Make the SSD first to boot then save changes and reboot, u can tell if it was successful bc u will be booted up in about 10 seconds. I didn't have to unplug the old hdd or anything. When you've successfully booted up with the SSD, I just formatted the old hdd and assigned a new drive letter.

six4bravo wrote:
First things first, in my water cooling thread there is instructions on how to set up the drivers to AHCI from RAID, do that first.

After the migration is complete, reboot, enter the bios. In the bios, there is a boot list. Make the SSD first to boot then save changes and reboot, u can tell if it was successful bc u will be booted up in about 10 seconds. I didn't have to unplug the old hdd or anything. When you've successfully booted up with the SSD, I just formatted the old hdd and assigned a new drive letter.

I ended up doing everything you specified; cloned drives, disabled secure boot, set boot priorities.. still didn't work; 'Windows boot manager' keeps being enabled, trying to boot from SSD or HDD is not working either, it only boots up with the manager, I have no idea WTH 😕 .

jeezy9 wrote:
I ended up doing everything you specified; cloned drives, disabled secure boot, set boot priorities.. still didn't work; 'Windows boot manager' keeps being enabled, trying to boot from SSD or HDD is not working either, it only boots up with the manager, I have no idea WTH 😕 .

After I get home from work tomorrow's, I'll post up some screenshots of the bios settings and we'll try to figure this out.

six4bravo wrote:
After I get home from work tomorrow's, I'll post up some screenshots of the bios settings and we'll try to figure this out.

Thanks much! weird part is that when I only had the SSD connected, it would boot up no problem, when they're both connected is where the issue starts.

Hmmm, u may have to just leave the HDD unhooked like others have then. I checked last night and all the settings in my bios are just changed the boot order to the SSD first and once i got it booted up with both connected and it booted from the SSD, i erased the old HDD and hadn't had an issue since.

Its probably just freaking out since it sees windows volume on both drives, once you get the old HDD erased it shouldn't be an issue, but make sure the computer runs fine with the SSD FIRST BEFORE U ERASE THE OLD HDD.