cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I need to Upgrade to a gtx 980/1080. (I think I am good but asking anyway)

xii_alpha_iiixx
Level 7
Alright. I will be coming into some money in about one month. (have to let every thing clear and so forth.) Before That I would like to get my ducks in a row.

I am a noob but have spent months reading everything over. I am just making sure that I actually do have everything right.

I am aware I can find better prices. These are just Links to show what I think I need. I am confused on the two power supplies. I have a 240w.
I have two DCIN plugs but the one is odd shaped. From what I gather it is a DC-in plug. I stared what I think is needed for that.

1.) New Power supply, 330w Dell AC Adapter
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=332-1432

2.) Second Power supply for DC plug in. 180w*
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQ4L3PM?ref_=sr_1_2&qid=1465353600&sr=8-2&keywords=180w%20ac%20...

3.) I have several sets of 6-pin/8-pin so I am ok on that.

4.) Panasonic UJ-272 UJ272 (just for a Bluray player. Can this play 4k video since it is BDXL? If the answer is No. What player can? A link would be great)
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-UJ-272-Recorder-Internal-Supports/dp/B00WHVS8PE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

I think that is. I have upgraded my ram and have 16gbs rather than the 8. I have an SSD already installed, so that is already good. ( prob gunna get a new one as well
as a new HDD just to keep things all new and neat.

If someone had a picture of how they have their two power supplies plugged in that would be amazing. All the threads have been very helpful but seeing
a picture of the back of someones cpu would be a lot of help. And where to get that neat little Power supply holder.
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
I am not a G20 owner so I'm not sure about the barrel size for the power bricks but I wanted to suggest that you might not need the brick holder. If you put a couple of high density foam blocks between the bricks to create an air gap and use velcro straps it would keep the bricks organized and cool. The official brick holder might not even work well with other brands of bricks since the dimensions might be different.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks for the reply. The brick holder was just to keep things nice and clean. Its not a must. I do not like leaving bricks on the floor. Just trying to keep everything
organized.

I'm making the same upgrade to my ROG G20aj and when I added the 180W power supply my system didn't like it. I'm curious to know what you did to make your system accept the added power supply.

JohnW wrote:
I'm making the same upgrade to my ROG G20aj and when I added the 180W power supply my system didn't like it. I'm curious to know what you did to make your system accept the added power supply.

What brick did you get? What is the voltage? Does the plug fit snugly or is it sloppy? I don't think xii alpha has bought the stuff yet so knowing what didn't work might be helpful.

Note that you generally want voltage to be within +/- 5%. Most electronics can tolerate up to about 15% difference but it's not a good idea to push them more than necessary.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I haven't bought anything yet. I am unsure of where to plug in the second power supply. the slots I have are two different plugs.